Screen Flashing randomly

bamjiggy

Screen Flashing randomly

Post by bamjiggy »

While im running two razor/uo Clients, i will randomly get a screen flash on the second opened client, followed by an error.
i disabled the music and it seems to have fixed the crashes but im still getting the flashing, is this normal or just vista at its best?

Van Raily

Re: Screen Flashing randomly

Post by Van Raily »

I think just Vista. I don't know how to fix it either. I know my Razor will freeze up sometimes, and resyncing doesn't help. I have to manually go into Razor and click my macro for double-clicking a dagger (I use it to skin hides more easily), and that'll take it out of the freeze. Otherwise I'm not sure what can be done about it, but it's certainly annoying.
Gone to greener pastures.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Try disabling visual themes and desktop composition under the compatibility tab on the UO and Razor shortcuts.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

I had already tried the "Disable desktop composition" trick with Razor to get the counters working. I'll try the other one, and do it for my UO client as well. Thanks.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

and upgrade video drivers if possible.. i had some flashing on a fresh win7 install before upgrading video drivers

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

Tried altering the Properties as I mentioned I'd do, and it didn't seem to work, though (knock on wood) it seems less frequent.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

When it gets stuck whitescreen, open the razor for that client and turn on, then back off, reduce CPU usage in the general tab. That always clears it up for me. This is really just a problem with the frame refreshing, it's ram/mem leak related afaik. Try reducing the number of clients you are using, or the number of additional programs you have running, windows open ect.

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

I have to agree with Dagon. Alot of visual issues like that are caused by keeping Microsoft's generic driver for your computers video card. Try updating.

Keither711

Post by Keither711 »

Thank you, Hicha! I've had the white random screen flashes ever since I got a windows 7 computer. The flashes only lasted a second, but it still messed with me when pvping. To others with this problem Right-Click your UO and Razor shortcuts > Properties > Compatibility > Check Disable Visual Themes AND Run this program as administator. By the way, I made this account just to post this message. That's how much it helped me.

Ravion

Post by Ravion »

Suffering from this as well. Using Ati card and Windows 7, about 15 months old rig. All drivers+ DirectX are up to date. Tried everyting described above, nothing seems to help. I suppose it is something or another Razor does in bcground that causes it. About as terrible small malfunction as small malfunctions come; the semi frequent flash (once every 25 secs?) is absolute murder to eyes, even testing wether or not it is there is enough to give headache.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Do the following 2 things:
(1) Right Click somewhere on your Desktop and select Personalize. This should open the themes window. Scroll down to the bottom and select the "windows classic" theme. This should fix the white screen freezing (which I believe is due to the "Aero" theme that gives transparency to titlebars and borders). Yes, this makes your desktop look old school, but it will fix the problem.

(2) Right click your Razor shortcut and select Properties. Poke around in there, and you should find a Compatibility Mode (I'm on an XP machine so I don't know exactly where it is). Enable compatibility mode for windows XP / .NET 2.0 (or something to that effect... like I said, I don't have it in front of me). This compatibility mode will allow you to record and watch packet videos (that was my experience, anyway)--I don't think it helps with the white flashing.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Ravion

Post by Ravion »

Thanks for replying. Sadly this didn't help at all.

Niar

Post by Niar »

Any further thoughts on this?

I'm running Windows 7 and have followed above instruction regarding compatibility settings.

White flashes happen when razor is running, but not when UO is opened on its own.

Near impossible to play; hoping someone will have insight.

Thanks

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

bamjiggy wrote:While im running two razor/uo Clients, i will randomly get a screen flash on the second opened client, followed by an error.
i disabled the music and it seems to have fixed the crashes but im still getting the flashing, is this normal or just vista at its best?
Oh man you prob have ring worm

AngelCristo

Post by AngelCristo »

I use multiple clients and when I go to the client in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ultima Online Clients\UOSecondage\Ultima Online and click properties it doesn't give me those options. Doing it with razor is easy as it runs all the clients. My screen does the white flicker frequently but sometimes the client stops responding. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't alt-tab or mess with razor while playing. The not responding happens only when I am outside the client but the flicker happens while I am in it. I am on Vista.