The Target - by Pierce Deathbolt

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
SighelmofWyrmgard

The Target - by Pierce Deathbolt

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

The Target, a Tale of Choices - by Pierce Deathbolt

Amongst the Rangers of Skara Brae I doth remain a member of a very-small cadre: by no means, at all, any 'elite company'; whilst retaining expertise in Magic, we simply eschew the use of melee weapons to specialize in complete mastery of the bow; mine own preferred weapon is the heavy crossbow; in times of peace, I am respected as an efficient hunter of game.

When battle is offered, my talents are put to a similar, singular, use, which doth attempt to figure prominently in this story, below.

Scouts didst deliver to us reports of a large gathering of Orcs, and other fell creatures, roaming the south of the Spiritwood: the reports disclosed that this army was being led by nothing less than Ogre Lord! This, didst indeed, threaten as a clear and present peril: I hath always hated any Ogre Lord, a gigantic, evil, indestructible blob, disguised as an ugly, fat, evil giant. Whence came such a monstrosity to the surface of the world?

My brethren didst deem that we needed to engage this threat, quickly, and while we still couldst exploit the forest to our advantage.

We Rangers doth rely 'pon stealth and 'wolf-pack' tactics, deploying terror to inflict attrition and generate chaos and division: my brethren didst attack the foe with fury, striking from the flanks, then turning to escape and evade, whilst another group wouldst then descend 'pon the exposed, confused, and dispersed enemy; withdraw, disperse-and-draw-off the foe, hide, stealth-away, regroup; ambush, ever followed by ambush ... always from a different direction.

It soon didst become time for me to deploy mine own talents. I hadst remained hidden and silent, quietly infiltrating my way into the center of the enemy, until my 'target' presented himself.

The heavy crossbow doth deliver quite a hefty kick to the archer: by an order of magnitude, the loosed bolt deliver'th much-more than that to the hapless target. Nigh point-blank, I sent my bolt into the Ogre Lord's throat, exactly into that soft place below and behind the chin: the behemoth reeled, emitting an ear-pounding, gurgling, yell and stomped its foot in agony; the quake of that nearly didst send me off my feet.

Yet, that vile, indestructible blob didst not fall ...

Time to GO! Beside the Ogre Lord hadst been standing an Orc-Mage shaman: as I fled, I received a Flame Strike, which I didst not resist, and an Energy Bolt which, thankfully, I did. A small group of Orcs pursued me, but I evaded them, hid, and stealthed-away; after, I used my magic to heal myself, and then attempted another assay.

My next bolt disappeared into the disgusting oaf's left ear. Both hands clutched at the ears as his head bucked backwards and he bellowed in fury and pain; his knees wobbled and buckled, and he crashed forward onto his face. I was knocked off my feet: thankfully, so was that same Orc-Mage; I got my legs underneath me first and managed to evade reprisal.

Yet, again, groaning, the Ogre Lord didst push himself back up onto his own feet ...

Clearly, mine efforts thus far hadst been entirely futile. How, exactly, couldst it be that this indestructible, fat, bastard hadst emerged to the surface of the world in the first place ... ?

Third time pays for all, 'tis said. However, I was determined to apply a 'twist' to that: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". Haha, and herein lieth a clue, within a play on words: "... shaman me"!

When my bolt struck his Adam's Apple, the impact nearly knocked the Orc-Mage off of his feet: gurgling incoherently, he didst stagger. Immediately the Ogre Lord, and many Orcs, didst charge at me.

Choking, the Orc-Mage delivered no magic. I followed with three invocations of "Corp Por!" ...

The Ogre Lord, murderously-enraged, stood above me: I was about to be squashed like a bug. The Orc-Mage, slain, fell to the ground and the Ogre Lord, suddenly, stopped: he didst look to be confused, and shook his head.

The Orcs descending 'pon me didst receive an unwelcome surprise: the Ogre Lord blinked his eyes, bellowed in rage, and turned on his erstwhile 'followers'. I felt it prudent to take my leave of them ...

Later, we didst have to deal with the behemoth but, with an entire company of Rangers, and impeded by no army of Orcs, this proved to be only a nettlesome task.

When I first told mine account to my colleagues, they replied, "Third time, eh? Third time, so far as I hath ever heard, buys the round!"

Yes, they didst make me pay for their drinks, the sods.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Annabell Red

Re: The Target - by Pierce Deathbolt

Post by Annabell Red »

Wow! What a tough bastard that ogre must have been! I am happy to hear of your victory over their force! I am curious though, where you hired to slay them or just out looking for trouble? ;) I should like to buy a book with this or similar stories for my personal library! Let me know if you would be interested in writing one for me and what it would be worth to you.