'The Box' - by Thrush Wyrmwood

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
SighelmofWyrmgard

'The Box' - by Thrush Wyrmwood

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

'The Box', a Tale of Reciprocity, Kindness and Contemplation - by Thrush Wyrmwood

We Rangers are renowned as an intrepid group: we rove the lands, in stealth or in-disguise, gathering information, searching-out secrets, seeking the unusual, the unexpected, and the profound; methinks 'tis curiosity, mainly, that drives us.

I shalt tell thee of a mystery I hadst uncovered, some years ago ...

Northwest of Skara Brae doth lie a small island, uninhabited, unspoiled, pleasant, serene. 'Tis an ideal location to take, in the early afternoon, portions of cheese and wine while devoting an hour, or so, to simply bask in the sun. The channel is narrow, but the currents capricious and strong, and it is risky to attempt to swim there; I have always been a strong swimmer.

I had not indulged in the pleasure of picnicking there for quite some time and, so, on a particular day, and on a particular whim, I didst decide I would. With a ripe cheese and a bottle of wine, I swam the channel.

I had hardly even begun to enjoy myself, I was still wet from my swim, chewing my first mouthful of cheese (one washes-away the brine with a little wine), only beginning to absorb the warmth of the sun, and poised to take a second drink from my bottle, when 'the mystery' began to unfold.

I was approached by a Wisp. Not-so-unusual in so many respects, but I'll confess I hadst never seen one there, before, and I was surprised, and fascinated: verily, they are enigmatic creatures.

The unintelligible chiming-music of their speech I hadst always found to be melodic and soothing. I was hammered by an ear-splitting cacophony. Incomprehensible, but it didst seem to communicate panic, frustration, and rage but, also, cautious-hope.

The Wisp began to move away and, intrigued, I didst follow.

I was led to the corpse of a man, dead p'raps two days, robed in red. Other Wisps arrived, seven in total, and they didst surround me and the corpse.

Their sudden, combined, cacophony was ear-shattering: I didst attempt to stop my ears, but 'twas not enough; it felt like they were driving daggers into my head. I collapsed to my knees, hands over my ears, and they relented.

They all moved towards 'The Box', a mere few yards away, and surrounded it, and I followed, wary but inexplicably beguiled.

From the hum, and from the disturbances I didst detect in the ether, this didst seem to me to be some bizarre variant of an Energy Field, but I couldst not even begin to imagine how such a thing couldst be done ... Inside I thought I saw simple fire-flies, until I didst look more-closely.

It is hard to describe what I saw: it seemed to be a translucent, amorphous, cloud, but tiny lights came and went; as I said, at a casual glance it appeared as if The Box were filled with fire-flies ...

I brought my face as close to The Box as I dared and I could see, 'winking' in-and-out, what seemed to be 'miniature Wisps': with horror, I didst fully-apprehend the truth.

It took me a few moments to shed my own grief and rage but, after that, tears stinging mine eyes, I invoked, "An Grav".

The Box disappeared, the cloud moved within the ring of Wisps, while those creatures began to 'sing', melodically and joyfully, again. A red Moongate didst apear, and the cloud of 'Wisplings' departed. Stunned, confused, grieved, satisfied, I resolved to return to my cheese and wine.

The Wisps followed me.

I have hadst the rare occasion to enjoy grand performances of Britain's renown'd bards at Lord British's Conservatory, and I wouldst speak no ill of them, but nothing couldst possibly compare to the performance I didst witness on that afternoon.

While I sipped wine, basked in the warmth of the sun, and nibbled on cheese, the Wisps gathered about me, and began to sing. 'Twas the most glorious thing: an anthemic, chiming, symphony.

Neither before, nor since, hadst I ever felt so beatified.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.