Server Maintenance Notice: [7:00 am - 7:15 am]

News and Announcements
Derrick

Server Maintenance Notice: [7:00 am - 7:15 am]

Post by Derrick »

We've had a couple operating system or hardware crashes over the last couple weeks, and they are increasing in frequency. These are either Blue-Screens, or more likely power supply overheats.

We are scheduling a chassis swap with the data center, and will advise when the maintenance has been scheduled.

Update: This has been scheduled for sat morning.
Last edited by Derrick on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Scheduled
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Magilla Gorilla

Re: Server Maintenance Notice (preliminary)

Post by Magilla Gorilla »

God I love u derrick. When u start talkin chasis swaps and such it just puts a mile on my face. U do great work and ur dedication to this server has brought so much joy to many people so thank you for ur hard work and dedication, run for president u got my vote.
Last edited by Magilla Gorilla on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick

Re: Server Maintenance Notice (preliminary)

Post by Derrick »

I only wish I lived closer so I could drive down there and do it myself.

Thanks for your support!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Re: Server Maintenance Notice: [3:00 am - 6:59 am]

Post by Derrick »

This has now been scheduled for sometime between 3:00 am and 6:59 am ET tonight (Sat morning).

As of now, the server could go down at any time between these hours. I've put in a request to have them do it at 7am sharp (i.e., after last save), but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Will there be any advance warning before they take the server offline to work on it?

This is not a big deal but a bit of a heads up would be nice so I can log out safely and go to sleep.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There won't be any way to give notice before it goes down. I did just recive confirmation that they will start between 7am and 7:15am. Hopefully this will be after last save and before restart.

Expected downtime is about an hour.

WiseOne

Re: Server Maintenance Notice: [7:00 am - 7:15 am]

Post by WiseOne »

That is perfect, thanks!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The maintenance completed this morning, we were down for a little less than an hour after our normal restart time.

We'll continue to monitor for unexpected restarts. Hopefully this has fixed the trouble.

Artifex1979

Post by Artifex1979 »

The servers appear to be down -- any specific reason?

Is it the maintenance still?

No, I can't wait to log on! =D

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

Artifex1979 wrote:The servers appear to be down -- any specific reason?

Is it the maintenance still?

No, I can't wait to log on! =D
The server has a daily downtime around 7 AM. After the server saves for the last time, you can still play about 15mins (?) but no progress from that period is saved. Then it shuts down and comes back online, sometimes in 5 minutes, sometimes in 15 minutes or so.

-edit- Yeah, seems it's been considerably longer today, dunno if the DST changes have something to do with that.
Last edited by jekkis on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Artifex1979

Post by Artifex1979 »

I usually log in very early in the morning, before the servers go down. I play till the last save, then I come back on after the servers are back. But I tried logging in today and I just couldn't. So that's why I'm asking.

EDIT: And I still can't...

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

DST came into effect today in the United States. If you live outside the US, it is possible you tried to log in while the server was donw as usual.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Everytime there's a time change, this happens. I forget exactly what it is in RunUO that causes it...prolly some clock function tied to the time...

If its like every other time, if you managed to log in you wouldn't be able to move or do any object delay check.

Only have to deal with it 2 times a year, though!

Could be as Pirul said, though, it is DST here in the States.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I was concerned about the time change too, but we got through that ok. The server has more trouble in the fall when the time swings back as it messes up some of the timers.

This morning the trouble was that the server rebooted and went into "recovery mode" I think this means one of the technicians left the a CD in the drive after the chassis swap yesterday, or the bios was set for network boot, but I'm still waiting to hear back as to whether that was the case.

The monitoring software reported the failure to reboot this morning shortly after it restarted at 7:22, the server was manually restarted from the console at 8:02.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

They will be disabling the Lan Boot in bios in the morning which will prevent this from happeneing again. This will happen between 7am and 7:15 so beyond the potential for the server going down a few minutes early, no one should notice.