New client installer.

News and Announcements
Derrick

Re: New client installer.

Post by Derrick »

mrmr wrote:Hello.
I love having this installer (only 300MB archive!), but got some questions.

- What are the registry keys added by this installer (for UO itself, UOAM and Razor)?
- Is it posibble to install this by a "restricted" user (not a Power User)?
- Is it possible to make a "portable" UO client?

Guess someone could answer this...this way, we could have a "on-usb-key" UOSA client ;)
The reg keys aren't required, but they prevent you from having to specify the location of the client.
No registry heys are required to run the client that I am aware of.
However, the client and or razor performs a Lot of disk writes, which will wear out a flash drive over an extended period of time.
Registry keys for UO are at this path: HKLM "Software\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online\1.0"
Zorce wrote:My question is will this "install" require .net framework? I know alot of new players know nothing about it and I know its required for razor. Is it included in this package?
It doesn't install the framework. Razor requires .Net 2.0, but post-XP Operating Systems have this already, and many XP users will have already installed it. If you need it though, it's on our download page, and also mentioned in our installation guide.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

mrmr wrote: - What are the registry keys added by this installer (for UO itself, UOAM and Razor)?
- Is it posibble to install this by a "restricted" user (not a Power User)?
- Is it possible to make a "portable" UO client?
Like Derrick said UO itself doesn't really use any registry keys, although the key he specified is added for compatibility. UOAM on the other hand heavily uses the registry for all of it's options, and by default this installer loads up default values upon installation so that it is ready to run as soon as you install. Similarly, Razor uses the registry for it's login server information.

I'm not sure about the restricted user part.. that was not a part of the testing. The installer asks for elevated permission so it should prompt for admin access if/when needed.

And even if you weren't concerned with it wearing out a USB drive quickly, UO would run VERY SLOW I'd assume.. since it lags up on me if I'm doing heavy read/writes to my hard drive at the same time.. a USB key has 100x less bandwidth than an internal hard drive.. so.. I wouldn't think it would run too well from a flash drive, feel free to test it. You can use Sandboxie on your flash drive to have a computer inside a computer so to speak and all the registry keys will exist only in Sandboxie and not on the computer you are running on, so that might be one thing to look at if you wanted to try running it from a USB.

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Derrick,
I brought two old Cult members over from WoW last night. One had no issues. The one who had never played UO before was confused when it came to entering server information in Razor. After reading this thread, I thought it may be helpful to have Razor auto-config to UOSA during install. Is that possible?

Either way, good installer.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Stargazer wrote:Derrick,
I brought two old Cult members over from WoW last night. One had no issues. The one who had never played UO before was confused when it came to entering server information in Razor. After reading this thread, I thought it may be helpful to have Razor auto-config to UOSA during install. Is that possible?

Either way, good installer.
This installer should default razor to the correct setting, server name and port, you should only have to hit connect; however that's not indicated in the instructions in the guide forums.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I recently had to reformat my computer so I will soon be able to test this installer with Arch Linux + fluxbox.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

In the event that any new people with problems actually read this thread, here's a compilation of some information from different posts that may have an answer you are seeking.

If you are having issues with Windows Vista or 7:

Disable UO Music and it will stop crashing!

If you can't find your Desktop folder for your character macros:
hiicha wrote:Sounds like Vista is storing the data in the shadow directory.
Enable hidden files and folders, then check C:\Users\<your name>\AppData and check the following folders:
Local
LocalLow
Roaming
Should be a folder inside one of those called Ultima, and your macro file should be inside.
Another step that may or may not be necessary, but won't hurt anything if you do it:
purplehazze wrote:The only issue I had with getting UOSA working with Razor properly was changing some permissions to the Ultima Online directory. For some reason after the install the Ultima Online folder was restricted. To fix this, right-click on the folder and select properties. Navigate to the security tab after opening properties and select the user account you wish to edit permissions then check the box marked Full Control.
If you can't get Razor to display information in UO's title bar (status bar, counters, etc) you can do a couple of things to resolve it:
1) Disable Aero interface (and your whole computer will thank you by running smoother!)
2) <@Derrick> razor counters in Vista&Win7: right click razor shortcut -> properties -> compatability -> check "disable desktop composition"

And while you're in Razor's shortcut properties you might as well changed it to always run as administrator, since you have to do that anyways!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Newer Client Installer: Fixes in-game music in Vista and Win7

Thanks Dagon!

If you already have the client installed the Patch is here (35MB): https://sourceforge.net/projects/uoseco ... e/download

The Full Install is now mirrored on SourceForge here (354MB): https://sourceforge.net/projects/uoseco ... e/download
Dagon wrote: uosecondage.com Presents:
Ultima Online Music Fix for Windows XP/Vista/7
Client Version 5.0.8.3

This patch is intended for use on an existing installation of the new 300MB UOSA Client Installer, client version 5.0.8.3.

However, It should be fully compatible with any installation of client 5.0.8.3.

You should not attempt to use this patch on any other client version or unpredictable results may occur.

This patch/addon will fix the crash related to having in-game music turned on. Additionally, it also affects Windows XP by not freezing momentarily while switching between music files (for example switching into combat mode freezes you for a second).

It has been tested on Windows XP x32, Windows Vista x32/x64, and Windows 7 x32/x64 with excellent results.

This is a fix for an existing installation of the official uosecondage.com installation that is available for download (the 300MB download). This fix will eventually be included in a new build of the full game installer and this patch will be unnessecary.

This installation also includes Batlin's "sleep" client fix which reduces CPU usage when the client is idle.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Some essential directions left out..

First and foremost, This patch is for client version 5.0.8.3 only.
The patch was based off my last UOSA Client Installer package (the newer 300MB download), but it should work for any installation you have provided that it is client version 5.0.8.3. Any other client version will fail to patch.

When you download the patch (UOSA_Client_Music_Patch.exe) and go to install it the default installation directory is C:\Program Files\Ultima Online, however this may not be accurate for your system. No automated checks are done to obtain your installation directory. Therefore, be sure to point the installation to your proper UO installation directory. Some examples of the proper directory, depending on what source you installed from, could be any of these:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Ultima Online
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online 2D Client
or for you 64-bit Windows Vista/7 users:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ultima Online
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Ultima Online 2D Client
Make sure you use the correct directory.

Most people I'm sure will be upgrading their UOSA installation that had been installed with one of the UOSA installers, but this info is provided 'just in case'.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Thanks so much!!!

Aule
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Aule »

installed it, been playing all evening with music, no crashes. The UO music adds so much to the experience. Dagon, you are the man.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

i need help on my installer, i can log on here but not onto the actual game yet, i think its my ip address but i dunno how to change it or even where to begin to look

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Cerberus wrote:i need help on my installer, i can log on here but not onto the actual game yet, i think its my ip address but i dunno how to change it or even where to begin to look
Try hopping in the IRC channel (link is on the main page). What does the game say when you try to log on?

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Ever since I've installed the new client (which I did for the sound purposes and that works now) My G11 G-Keys arent synching with the client now. When I execute my keys through Logitech profile tester it registers, the same thing when I execute the macros through razor. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Valentine

Post by Valentine »

Cool but why did you edit the music?

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Read the thread and find out, the answer is right above. ::insert shoot you in the head smiley here::