Daft suggestion: "UOSA town/village"

A place to discuss shard marketing ideas to find players seeking a T2A experience.
SighelmofWyrmgard

Daft suggestion: "UOSA town/village"

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Of course, I would never suggest calling it that.

This proto-idea involves members of the community, as a whole, contributing to the development/maintenance of a player-run town/village. I never spent any incredible amount of time in PaxLair, but I did pass through with some frequency, and I remember the novel feeling of interacting within an entirely player-run UO community.

I have nothing so grandiose in mind, and do not wish to duplicate (rip off) PaxLair. What I do have in mind would be a small, "four-corners" style of player-run village, but one "owned/maintained" by the UOSA player-base as a whole (only those who choose to participate, mind).

Anything of the sort hitherto have been guild-towns, and have fallen into neglect (and/or fallen entirely) when the founding guild moved on or passed away; MoB had tried to run their own mercantile-version of this sort of thing across the river from Mt. Kendall, but I am sure that the effort proved to be only a bleeding ulcer in dren's bank account ... poor return for trying to offer some flavor to the server (with higher/different population, not a bad idea for a loss-leader).

lightshade's properties have dropped; New Windemere is no more; IIRC, K^A town was already falling into ruin when I first joined, back in 2010; there had been a guild called, "Village of Paws", and I have no idea what they achieved before they disappeared; I never was a fan of Shadowmire (Britannia has a King already; don't you know?); is the UOSA Museum still up (I haven't been over there in almost a year, I bet)?

Anyway, what I have in-mind would be UOSA's town/village (or, heck, even two or three such things): the involved properties should not be private properties, but shard properties; this idea must not be one that could be twisted by any individual(s) in the interest of personal enrichment.

I'm not hopeful that staff would permit "development" in the GZ townlands west/southwest of Britain, but a really modest proposal that did not threaten to overturn era-accuracy ... wouldn't hurt to ask, I guess; the gypsy camp south of Minoc, and the mining camp at Mount Kendall are "purposeless" zones; there are others.

Staff should not be pestered: the only things we should be asking for would be permissions.

Of course, I don't know how we can administrate "shard" properties ... there are lots of holes in this proposal, I will concede.

One thing I would push hard for: whatever is put together, however it is put together, it should be authentic to established Ultima lore (at least insofar that single-player Ultima commutes with UO); a village called, "Paws", halfway between Britain and Trinsic would be (mostly) ideal, but there is not a lot of usable space where it "properly" should be ...

Near the museum, north of the bog, we could call it, "Stone Gate"; there are a few other appropriate possibilities.

The construction of the place might even be executed as a shard event, or even as several events.

Everyone is welcome to make suggestions: is there something we can put together?

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

a nerd

Re: Daft suggestion: "UOSA town/village"

Post by a nerd »

Awesome Idea. 3 years too late.

You mentioned the Village of PAWS. Blaine the Gypsy had that around the Spirituality Shrine in '10? Then tried to restart it in 12-13. That's when pop numbers were 500-1100. The interest levels were.. disappointing. Not that it wasn't fun for some folks, but..

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=43443

It was large or 2 and 6-10 smalls. His neighbor was Thelonius Black, UBB <only recently allowed his shit to fall> . Had 2 towers on the western edge of PAWS and helped them out a little. Was never more than 4-6 guys. UOSA History says it would be a fools errand to put much into a player city. Too many dirtbags. Then again, if no one is playing here at all, might be the place to start something.... Good luck.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Thanks for the candour, nerd.

I did not provide a lot with which to work.

There's an EA-conflict-of-interest catch22, of course: player-owned properties "donated to the shard" would be removed from the real-estate market, which would generate an NEA play environment, and any "player-development" inside a GZ (or over/against existing game-world features) would demand a significant involvement from staff, and would be likewise NEA.

I would hope to enrich the shard but also minimise, if not completely eliminate, involvement of staff: certainly, nothing must tread-upon the era-accuracy mandate.

I mentioned in another thread a long time ago how most OSI shards, in 98/99, had still possessed some grandfathered housing within GZs (I've heard the term, "Beta-Borders" in reference to a reduced Britain-GZ-footprint, for example; there did persist GF housing in some of these spaces well into t2A): then and now, I would not want those spaces exploited by/for individual players, but I was thinking that something could be done with those empty spaces "by/for the shard"; Minoc Gypsy camp, Mt. Kendall Miners' camp, Nujel'm suburb, Lower Britain townhouses, East Britain warehouse district are all underdeveloped spaces.

Player-guild "towns" (have) all fall(en), when the guild dissolves/leaves: can this membership devise some thing(s) for the enrichment of the whole of the shard, "owned" only by the shard and therefore persistent, and consistent, subject only to the evolution of continuing development?

As I have said, suggestions would be welcome.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Just do whatever you want. It's not a difficult thing to put together a town.

I'm confused by your post. Are you looking for someone to validate your thought?

Because if you are looking for people to partner or to actually work with you, your subject and body seems to lack a complete structural thought.

I would think a person seeking to build a town would say something like, "Let's do this, I have a complete idea and here are the details.".

Good luck,

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:I would hope to enrich the shard but also minimise, if not completely eliminate, involvement of staff: certainly, nothing must tread-upon the era-accuracy mandate.

I mentioned in another thread a long time ago how most OSI shards, in 98/99, had still possessed some grandfathered housing within GZs (I've heard the term, "Beta-Borders" in reference to a reduced Britain-GZ-footprint, for example; there did persist GF housing in some of these spaces well into t2A): then and now, I would not want those spaces exploited by/for individual players, but I was thinking that something could be done with those empty spaces "by/for the shard"; Minoc Gypsy camp, Mt. Kendall Miners' camp, Nujel'm suburb, Lower Britain townhouses, East Britain warehouse district are all underdeveloped spaces.
Let's not involve the GM's but then all my suggestions require GM's... I'm actually not against your thought process here. But for any meaningful involvement from players, it will require some "ownership". Having houses placed inside guard zones would be cool. I remember a patio within a screen of EBB back in the day. However, I don't see it being a big draw unless someone gets to own it and put stuff in it. Or have vendors there.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

SighelmofWyrmgard

Yes, D'n'D, you reiterate the era-accuracy-conflict-of-interest-catch22 to which I alluded in my last post.

As far as the game-feature-areas I mentioned are concerned, they'll remain open for GM-hosted events as needed, and I guess we can't/shouldn't hope for anything other; any player town will have to abide by the mechanics of a player town.

I have been suggesting, only, that a persistent by-UOSA-for-UOSA community-landmark would add novelty and charm to the shard: properties like the UOSA museum achieve this, in small part. Unfortunately, when any "New Windemere" becomes abandoned, and tumbleweeds blow through the boulevards, the shard suffers; when C^V's properties fell (so far as I know, this was nothing other than an 'oops'), vultures swooped in to seize any/all goods, and to seize the real estate, and UOSA was abruptly bereft of a landmark that had endured for many years, and had continued to contribute a lot of 'flavour'.

Taboo, there is no unified proposition here: that's the purpose of this thread. It has been rumoured that like-minded people have the facility to interact and discuss possibilities, and even devise collaborative effort.

If there exists a suitable scheme to establish "something" that is persistent, and possesses the character of "by UOSA, for UOSA", I would like to see that happen.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Before I'd make any comment or commitment (of time) on this, I'd like to see the players work together a more developed proposal or a few variations of one.

I personally would rather focus on getting some updates done to our "brand" presence. The wiki is under works, the new site is live on a domain I purchased so I can test campaigns out. At some point, the new site may be live on our real domain and that would be a major (and necessary) improvement to the brand update.

Refreshed (and responsive) website and wiki. The forums could also use an overhaul too.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote: Taboo, there is no unified proposition here: that's the purpose of this thread. It has been rumoured that like-minded people have the facility to interact and discuss possibilities, and even devise collaborative effort.
You don't have to be sarcastic. Being defensive towards a person pointing out that you are all over the place isn't exactly goal oriented.

I'm just going to throw it out there that I actually own an entire swath of land and properties in a scenic/strategic location, and I haven't bothered the gms concerning town add ons.

That being said, I actually have developed designs and plans. It's a side project.

If you wanted to acquire surrounding properties and discuss development, then I could consider it mutually beneficial.

lmk.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Hey, Taboo, FWIW I wasn't being sarcastic, merely pointing to the stark absence of detail in my proto-proposition, and reinforcing the petition for any/all ideas that might marry to the described theme.

Regarding a "pure" player-town, I've already spoken my mind: it should be shard-oriented, rather than player/guild oriented (perhaps we could organise a player-town-counsel who would be co-owned-to, or at least friended-to, any properties involved); for my own part, I would push that any such thing be authentic to the lore of the Ultima games.

I'm not sure what measures would need to be taken to protect the personal interests of property-owners or, indeed, what measures even could be taken: participating property owners should not be exposed to any form of risk, nor be expected to spend money without ROI ...

I would love to hear about your side-project, and perhaps assist. Bear in mind that, while I am in no want for wealth, I also never have had any desire for acquisition: while I am 100% self-reliant, my total worth is only a few million; I play to play, and only when I feel like playing, and I only do what suits my mood ...

Otherwise, I do have my own shard-oriented project sort-of in the works: the SSS Training Hostel & co. is work-in-progress, and a work which I have no intention of abandoning; in an extremely small way, I am already moving forward with my own shard-enrichment project (those properties are being used).

Please PM me with whatever details you wish to share: maybe you're already underway with the kind of project I am looking for!

When I mentioned MoB's Mt. Kendall properties, I'd rather hoped dren might jump in and share some remarks as to his own experiences: there was a lot going on there that was appropriate to my proposed theme, but I fear he was not enjoying anywhere near the quantity of return that would justify his efforts.

I'll thank Boomland for popping-in, particularly for drawing attention to the need to perform some house-cleaning regarding our "brand" (and exhorting any/all of us to maybe start thinking of "UOSA's brand" as "our brand": this is very-much in tune with my proposed theme).

Now, as things currently stand, a number of us are telling everyone to vote, and Boomland is asking after support and assistance in improving our public presence, and in this thread I'm trying to get people to build an in-game by-UOSA-for-UOSA town ... it might seem like a bit much.

No one is demanding of anyone, "You aren't doing enough, get to work!": anyone who is doing *whatever* for the enhancement of the shard, and/or is thinking of ways to enhance the shard, is already participating.

We've actually got a lot of really good stuff going on, already.

Taboo, please hmu: show me what you've got.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Leave it to Taboo to come ruin a thread.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Well, I get the impression you already have a pretty clear idea of what you are looking for, but you are being a little coy.

I think I'm just going to work on my side project by myself.

I'm sure you will get what you are after eventually.

Cheers :)

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Selling an entire area that would probably suit the purposes of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=65610

Incidentally, I also own an entire bay nearby and am considering selling it very soon.