Community Growth Effort // 2016

A place to discuss shard marketing ideas to find players seeking a T2A experience.
Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Community Growth Effort // 2016

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

I just wanted to let people know a few things I've been stirring up this past week. I've setup an automation tool to post already generated content to Twitter, updated Derrick's "Publicizing the Shard" thread, gotten Mailchimp all setup and ready to build a list. Bought a new domain to put the website I built in 2014 on so to be used with the marketing of UOSA. http://www.uosecondageshard.com/

I have some requests/suggestions for players outlined below too.

Quarterly Newsletter
The primary purpose of this is to remind dormant people that we're still here. A little bit about what’s going on in our community and how to reconnect would be the focal points.

I'd like to get a newsletter out by late July, so suggestions on content (or even providing content) is encouraged. I don't expect much from the first newsletter to be entirely honest because we'll be building our list fresh as of this coming week but we've got to begin somewhere.

To start growing the list, I’m going to encourage Facebook fans to sign up for the newsletter. I’ll be putting it on the wiki homepage as well.

Advertising
Begin building Ads and Ad copy. Once I feel out the market costs and size I'll see what type of scaling looks comfortable. This page should be online sometime in June.

Player Assistance
Upload pictures and vote for picture of the day. Each day, the new image will be published to Facebook and Twitter via RSS/IFTTT. Yes, images are screened before publishing.
http://my.uosecondage.com/Pics

Voting doesn’t help much unless we make it part of our routines. Do it as often as you can. You could even do a vote during each server save! Vote here, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95&p=319 - this list was updated 6/2016.

Facebook/Twitter users. If you don’t already follow us on social media you’re missing out!
https://www.facebook.com/uosecondage
http://twitter.com/uosecondage

If anyone is producing regular Youtube videos and has a channel specific for UOSA or streaming Twitch regularly (at least twice a month), share them below. If you have an RSS feed for your channels, post those too.

Content submission. For now, we’ll stick to a quarterly schedule. I'll always have some Admin ran events to include, but having 2 or 3 segments from players would be great. Share your stories on the Tales of Adventure board, viewforum.php?f=38

Wiki Contributors. I am looking for a handful (at most, 10 for now) of players to help modernize the Wiki. I do not have time to unlock and moderate it but that doesn't mean it needs to be frozen in time. Get in touch with me to help with this.

Your kind words! More so than ever, we need a handful of good testimonials to throw on the homepage of the new site. 3-4 sentences is enough. PM those to me
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Nickodemuse

Re: Community Growth Effort // 2016

Post by Nickodemuse »

Heard that Boomland aka the Spearhead!

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

I have been streaming a lot since I started back on the shard. However you mentioned Youtube videos. That is something the shard needs, PvPer's need to make PvP videos. Montages, Movies.

All you need is OBS, Fraps or some other video software, and then Movie Maker. I plan to make a PvP video when I get better. So let me brake this down.

PvP video: Anything, you red pot dueling to 1v1ing someone in the field or whatever. Like one day of footage that took you 10min to edit.

PvP Movie: 1v2's, 1v3's, this is like the display of skill, awesome moments, well edited & put together. This a video that you have been gaining footage for months to put together.

Some video guides to the shard would be good. From just scratching the surface video guides to PvP guides, its all about the presentation.
Last edited by SaibotMK on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

G.I Joe

Post by G.I Joe »

IF YOU LOVE AMERICA AND YOU LOVE UO YOU NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT.

THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION.

BE ALL THAT YOU CAN BE AND WATCH MY UO GO PRO BATTLE CAM.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2uBOB ... X68hRj9M-A

*PLEASE BE WARNED SOME TERRORISTS MAY LOOK OR PLAY LIKE NEWBIES "BLENDING IN" DO NOT BE FOOLED!
HELP MAKE UOSA GREAT AGAIN!
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/3709
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65299 [CONFIRMED KILLS]

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Edit:
Last edited by SaibotMK on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baalx in IRC

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:Player Assistance
Upload pictures and vote for picture of the day. Each day, the new image will be published to Facebook and Twitter via RSS/IFTTT. Yes, images are screened before publishing.

Did this happen? There was only one picture submitted and it had a majority of the votes...
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Drunk'n Disorder wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:Player Assistance

Did this happen? There was only one picture submitted and it had a majority of the votes...
Yep. I can see that IFTTT is working as expected. I've got to work on the formatting of the tweet a bit but at least it's reacting as expected.
https://twitter.com/uosecondage
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

bump

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

I am going to work on a newbie video guide, bare bone basics to things that are just a must to know. It will probably be a series.

Video 1: What to do before logging into the game, to setting up razor. Things like desktop composition, running in administrator, and in compatibility mode. The object delay in razor, things that should be check marked, very basic macro creation & hot keys. Turning path finding off, turning the transparency radius on, etc. Just very basic things.

Video 2: Making a bard, and how very simple, quick and important it is to make your first character a bard & get him macroing. What skills to start your bard with out of the gate. Making 3 accounts, etc. How you can play your other accounts while your bard is macroing. How there are helpful people in IRC, etc.

Video 3: What template to give your bard, ie: 50 hiding, 50 magery, weapon skill, tactics, anatomy, healing, music, provocation. How you don't need to have anything gm'd to start making money other then music & maybe provocation at most. Though this really could fit in Video 2.

The idea is to make none drawn out, straight to the point as possible video guides to uosa for new players. Then the plan is definitely to make some really solid PvP video guides when I get more experienced. I learn something every time I play on this shard. Like Roser told me about charging spells with invis items very recently, up before that knowledge was presented to me I was making good use of invis items but that information was golden, never thought to do that.

There is a lot of knowledge required to field PvP here, and then to be good at PvP here takes practice, at least to be as good as I am going for (1v2, 1v3 montages, Yes absolutely). The learning curve, preparation, challenge, risk, and reward factor here is higher then any game I have ever played.

My main goal is to get PvPers on uosa. New and eventually vet players back on the shard.
Baalx in IRC

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

SaibotMK wrote:I am going to work on a newbie video guide, bare bone basics to things that are just a must to know. It will probably be a series.

Video 1: What to do before logging into the game, to setting up razor. Things like desktop composition, running in administrator, and in compatibility mode. The object delay in razor, things that should be check marked, very basic macro creation & hot keys. Turning path finding off, turning the transparency radius on, etc. Just very basic things.

Video 2: Making a bard, and how very simple, quick and important it is to make your first character a bard & get him macroing. What skills to start your bard with out of the gate. Making 3 accounts, etc. How you can play your other accounts while your bard is macroing. How there are helpful people in IRC, etc.

Video 3: What template to give your bard, ie: 50 hiding, 50 magery, weapon skill, tactics, anatomy, healing, music, provocation. How you don't need to have anything gm'd to start making money other then music & maybe provocation at most. Though this really could fit in Video 2.

The idea is to make none drawn out, straight to the point as possible video guides to uosa for new players. Then the plan is definitely to make some really solid PvP video guides when I get more experienced. I learn something every time I play on this shard. Like Roser told me about charging spells with invis items very recently, up before that knowledge was presented to me I was making good use of invis items but that information was golden, never thought to do that.

There is a lot of knowledge required to field PvP here, and then to be good at PvP here takes practice, at least to be as good as I am going for (1v2, 1v3 montages, Yes absolutely). The learning curve, preparation, challenge, risk, and reward factor here is higher then any game I have ever played.

My main goal is to get PvPers on uosa. New and eventually vet players back on the shard.
Good luck with that.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Lambo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lambo »

Awesome to see effort and plans put in place to improve. As it can be tough to work towards all the negativity towards this server. Perseverance has seemingly been a strong suit of Boom.

I am not sure what the goals are regarding community growth are. But I will point out quality of quantity pertains here. Twenty like minded individuals is better than 100 toxic.

However with some strong rebranding it would be interesting to see how much growth UOSA could see. If this server has something going for its way, that is the fact UOSA most likely has more created accounts than any other free server besides hybrid ? Due to sheer longevity. This is speculation on my part, someone could most likely clarify.

That being said boom has the right path in mind. The key to growth is retention and getting people to log back in. They already know the product , they already have a foot hold so they are not restarting.

Idk , Hope the best for everyone.
Buying Charged Hallys/Bards
Buying +20 Power and above Hallys
Buying Reflect Items 30 Charges and above

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Wiki
I'm still looking for a few volunteers to help clean up the wiki. Spam removal, dated content removal. Hoping to find a few people who can volunteer on-going to modernize the wiki. Right now information is scattered across the forums and the Wiki. The Master Guide list on the forum references the wiki a good deal as well.

Even if you only have 20 minutes free. Skim the wiki, find pages with spam and dumping the URLs in here in a single post. That alone would make the process go quicker.

The Wiki works better on mobile devices now. Some pages using an old tabled layout may still have display oddly on some phones though.

Marketing
Doing some basic Ad planning right now. I have been given a couple of testimonials to put on the new site. Another one or two would be nice. Hoping to run a few test Ads near the end of June to feel it out.

Votingi
I've been voting damn near every day, have you?
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:Wiki
Votingi
I've been voting damn near every day, have you?
Vote people!!!!!!!

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

I say just take UOGateway off the list. BS voting system, by us voting on there only giving him extra hits on his site for the ads. Let him make no $$$ from us until he sets up captcha or something to block the bot votes

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

Boomland Jenkins wrote: Player Assistance

Voting doesn’t help much unless we make it part of our routines. Do it as often as you can. You could even do a vote during each server save! Vote here, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95&p=319 - this list was updated 6/2016.

Facebook/Twitter users. If you don’t already follow us on social media you’re missing out!
https://www.facebook.com/uosecondage
http://twitter.com/uosecondage

If anyone is producing regular Youtube videos and has a channel specific for UOSA or streaming Twitch regularly (at least twice a month), share them below. If you have an RSS feed for your channels, post those too.

Content submission. For now, we’ll stick to a quarterly schedule. I'll always have some Admin ran events to include, but having 2 or 3 segments from players would be great. Share your stories on the Tales of Adventure board, viewforum.php?f=38

Wiki Contributors. I am looking for a handful (at most, 10 for now) of players to help modernize the Wiki. I do not have time to unlock and moderate it but that doesn't mean it needs to be frozen in time. Get in touch with me to help with this.

Your kind words! More so than ever, we need a handful of good testimonials to throw on the homepage of the new site. 3-4 sentences is enough. PM those to me

bump