02-20-2016 1v1 PvP Tournament

A collection and archive of non-player ran, Shard Events.
Capitalist

Re: 02-20-2016 1v1 PvP Tournament

Post by Capitalist »

ultra wrote:
Nickodemuse wrote:YO ULTRA!!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=63893

You'll prolly have to copy/paste that, but thats an event Boom does on occasion that is built solely for people who have a thief. I've never done it because I havent made a thief yet. Im not reading through all the posts there but if you have an questions you can prolly pm Roser in irc. I think hes won it a few times. And as much reagents ive been getting stole from me when im at a bank, I'm sure there are plenty of thieves who can participate in it. If I see Boomland announce this event will start in such in such hours, I will pm you in here or in irc if i see you are on. I got no clue what usual log-in times are, just know you are usually off late night when i am logging in after i get off work. Hope you get to participate in one soon!
Oh, I just saw this and I've been awake far too long, so brace for long-winded mania.... I have one of everything except mage/tank (I lose brain cells when playing them), a fully GM'd scribe (haven't gotten around to finishing it yet), and a Fletcher (no interest). I dumped my old mage tank and rolled her into a tamer. I have two combat dexer, one for red, the other not, and I just retooled my thief to track, pop, blowup AFK rare farmers, which is why I've had a resurgence on the amount I'm getting similar to 2012. Have a bard, a face character who runs my vendor and errands, a treasure hunter/miner, two crafters. Self sufficient. I don't PvP with my thief.

I do with the dexers but I don't do tournaments because it's expected and planned ahead who your opponents will be and the opposite. I like to surprise other pvpers, gives me the edge and messes with their head when I pull my bag of tricks, plus less likely to run into a gank squad of nubs. I can handle two at a time "most" times but any more than that keeping up with the burst dps gets a little hairy. So, I lurk and hide out for solo or wandering pkers 99.9% of the time. I was just BSing about the tournement, I really don't care.

Tournies are "mostly" just show parades of "look at me" so most players can try to fill the dark deep void caused by a deeply seeded self-hate, coated with a low-self-esteem, all in vain, and for the rest(small group) they legitimately want to go for the laughs or a want of some inkling of social interaction. I do not need these things. I don't want people to know who my characters are, I don't want nor need the attention. Anonymity is the ultimate freedom. Unless it's in the trade forums most things I say are just to stir the pot and break up the whole conformist atmosphere cluttering this server.

I like to entice others to broaden their horizons. :) Although, I am genuinely pissed off about the banner snafu during the McPhry event. Hard enough to pop out of stealth with 0 armor + Insta aggro, surrounded by insane pirates, only to find out the banner is too heavy.... I didn't want to waste invisible or tele charges so I brought about 50 tables to keep me up, and it worked they only got me once even with the other thieves snatching up my tables lol. But, 3 easy-moders can stroll in with their dragons and hoard them up. rofl.

I could have done that myself but I wanted to be entertained, I wanted a rush. I could sit on my tail every morning, eat, and watch spongebob because it's easy, but choose to take my bike out every morning for 2-hours or jog with my kids before they head off to school because it's a challenge to maintain discipline, and I'm an energy/adrenaline junky. This server caters to the weak. A thief stealing loot, wah?? Unheard of! Noooo that may make people cwyyy! That doesn't work with "our view" of UO, and that is where your mistake is made.

On the flip side, I stole a little over 30 silver from people, which comforted me a bit knowing their panic and disappointment upon fruitlessly searching through their bags for their missing prized loot, but still. Meh. I hate bias nonsense. Server seems to cater to specific group of people, which is contradictory to what Ultima is...plus all the best players, played solo, and that's the part that ticks me off, not the pixels but the obvious bias aspect of it. It is either (a). blatant stupidity or (b) infantile level of blind selfishness, and both are toxic to this server, which is bleeding to death. I would normally say quality over quantity, right? But we got neither, lol. I honestly count about a little over 10 players on this server that are beneficial to it (compared to the 100 when I was here last), the rest are killing it or just stagnant, but the server caters to them haha.

This will likely fall on the ears of the bias and or ignorant so I don't expect much, and is purely for my benefit of alleviating stress in this backwards world that has put millions out of work, killed, and destroyed countless families due to insatiable greed, and deeply seeded, self-centered, yet insecure personalities of our current uber technology driven society aka apathetic chunks eating cheezy poofs, chugging mountain dew, face buried in a smart phone, focused only on their instant gratification (catches breath) while ignoring their families and problems of the world, but instead they dilute themselves by trying to convince that they matter with their video blogs and feeds when in reality all they appear is pathetic and worthless, which is very much reflected here on this server. I miss the 80's and early 90's soooo much. It's actually funny to me because I know how it will all turn out and it will literally destroy those who play here who need this server to make them feel like they belong somewhere.

lol okay enough venting, I'm manic...been up 36 hours straight dealing with stuff. It's all true but coming off a bit harsh because of it, so excuse the lack of tact (that is if you can, if not that's fine too, I don't care). Going to bed.... Sorry for hijacking your thread but too tired to find another forum and not even sure if I'm awake right at this moment. Maybe it's all a bad dream, but I doubt it. Nite, nite. :)
tl;dr "I not only think that thieves or niche characters should be dominant in the game, but even when ill-prepared, they should control the world. I cannot oppose those who have dominated me in aspects that I don't personally have a taste for, so those who do are losers. My lack of wit and perseverance has inevitably caused me to blame others rather than myself. It is very clear that I am not of the male gender."
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Patek
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Patek »

If I can make it i'll be there, RL is gettin hectic lately.

Cheers for running the event too BLJ, much appreciated as always :D

On a side note, things I find odd about Ultra:

1. Always complains that he prefers to be a "lone wolf" and not play with anyone, yet he's playing an MMORPG.
2. Is arguing about game mechanics when they've been locked in for the last 8 years.
3. Has a go at everyone as greedy and selfish, yet gloats about how good peoples disappointment/sadness makes him feel.
4. Attacks people for entering a tournament that supports the community and the server's health and refuses to enter because he'll get destroyed.
5. Cries about not being able to loot a banner and reckons that thieves stealing stuff would make people cry, yet cries constantly himself because the game doesn't go his way.
6. Craps on people's threads for no reason at all other than to be an attention seeking PITA, yet has a go at people for being attention seekers...

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Australians are fucked in the head m8
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Please put this in TT, I am offended.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Punishing Ken

Post by Punishing Ken »

Hello! What is included in the standard rules on the use of spells? I want to participate in this event, had never participated. Where can I read more? Allowed armor, spells...

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Punishing Ken wrote:Hello! What is included in the standard rules on the use of spells? I want to participate in this event, had never participated. Where can I read more? Allowed armor, spells...
Hey Ken, there's a book (red book) on the table in the tournament space that has all the rules in it. This book is available 24/7 to be viewed (not just during event windows). I will try to get in-game and take a screenshot to include in these re-occurring event postings to make it easier in the future to see the rules :)
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Punishing Ken

Post by Punishing Ken »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Punishing Ken wrote:Hello! What is included in the standard rules on the use of spells? I want to participate in this event, had never participated. Where can I read more? Allowed armor, spells...
Hey Ken, there's a book (red book) on the table in the tournament space that has all the rules in it. This book is available 24/7 to be viewed (not just during event windows). I will try to get in-game and take a screenshot to include in these re-occurring event postings to make it easier in the future to see the rules :)
Well. Thank you. I will look into this book.

Punishing Ken

Post by Punishing Ken »

Can I use Bless spell during the battle, and the armor bone armor to choose?

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Yes.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Sierra

Post by Sierra »

We agree with you ultra but I doubt most people here will get it. We love the solo life too and it's frustrating how the current population numbers and people in it are damaging the play style. You need enough people that are spread around to do it effectively and not just a few concentrated groups I can read between the lines. I think I'm glad we missed out on the event if what you're saying is true. It's sad but not a lot of room anywhere nowadays for individualistic/non-conformist mentalities. Ultima use to be a place where that mentality was valued but this server makes it extremely difficult. We get it. We've grouped with your wife before maybe you should consider hanging out with us for a bit. We will send you our details. Maybe we can start a little mischief. Mix things up. =)

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Sierra wrote:We agree with you ultra but I doubt most people here will get it. We love the solo life too and it's frustrating how the current population numbers and people in it are damaging the play style. You need enough people that are spread around to do it effectively and not just a few concentrated groups I can read between the lines. I think I'm glad we missed out on the event if what you're saying is true. It's sad but not a lot of room anywhere nowadays for individualistic/non-conformist mentalities. Ultima use to be a place where that mentality was valued but this server makes it extremely difficult. We get it. We've grouped with your wife before maybe you should consider hanging out with us for a bit. We will send you our details. Maybe we can start a little mischief. Mix things up. =)
Ultra's assessment is hardly accurate on the event he's referencing. Thieves had it easier than any other "class" because NPC humanoids can be snooped, making it very easy to see who's carrying good loot. This would make it very easy to cherry pick which pirates to kill or to simply rob (silver, trophies). The main complaint from him was regarding a single 24hr window of a several month long event, the final battle against an army of pirates.

The on going events I create are actually tailored to nearly every game style. Thieves, bards, mages, warriors, lockpickers, stealth-types, thieves, tamers. Pretty much everyone but pure crafters would have thrived during the McPry event series. Different portions of the storyline events had different elements, making it easier or harder for some character types.

Learning curves exist, but everything could have been done solo with planning and strategy.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Well, let's solve this shall we.

1. Were other items like banners and trophies able to be stolen in the earlier parts of the event? If so you're right, if not ultra is.
2. Is it true that the pirates insta-aggro'd? If not another +1 to you, if so +1 to ultra.

It pretty much comes down to those two questions because we are rating the event from an average participating player point of view who isn't going to be geared out in magical weapons and items. Because the point of an event is anyone can participate and equally reap the rewards. Poor crafters were left out :( You could have had the pirates drop a recipe like pirate's brew or pirate's {enter item here} with limited charges to get them involved. Whatever the case may be Boomland Jenkins it sounds like you need some help. One person having to think of all the ends and outs is a difficult challenge. You guys need to reach out to the community and get some of these old time vets to help staff this server up. Just be sure to get people of all different play styles so it doesn't just benefit animal tamers, mage tanks, and groupies that's key or it will backfire.

ooooo! Or you develope a council of players who have all different play styles and get them to give you input on your event ideas! I just thought of that one so I editted my post.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Sierra wrote:Well, let's solve this shall we.

1. Were other items like banners and trophies able to be stolen in the earlier parts of the event? If so you're right, if not ultra is.
2. Is it true that the pirates insta-aggro'd? If not another +1 to you, if so +1 to ultra.
Silver and trophies could be stolen the entire time (2+ months of event spawns), including during the last battle. Thieves had the biggest advantage actually, because they could snoop a pirate's backpack (humanoid NPCs are easy targets for thieves VS non-humanoid) and grab the trophy/silver without even killing the spawn. Ultra could have literally found a pirate with good loot and lured it off and killed it with something as simple as poison (level 3 spell) or purple potions (no skills required).

Banners were only available during the last day of the event at the massive 24hr battle at Buc's Den. They weighed 15 stones each and a total of 15 spawned throughout the day. 5 out of 15 (33%) of these banners spawned on the ground after a reoccurring boss battle with McPry. 10 (66%) spawned in backpacks of pirates. No, they couldn't be stolen due to their weight. I don't think it was at all unfair to thieves because a thief is more than "100 stealing skill". No character utilizing just 1 skill would thrive during the event and that's how it should be.

All the pirates, with exception to the Captains were 0 armor NPCs with reasonable skills and hit points. Pirate Captains were more on par with something like a lich lord. During the Exodus Chamber event, there were NPCs that required user tactics to default, but you didn't need to be geared to the teeth to do well there. This was also the peak of the event series, it took weeks to build up to it.

Pirates did not instant-agro. They had the exact same agro-rates/speeds as your standard NPC brigand for example.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Sierra

Post by Sierra »

=)

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

ultra wrote:@
My earlier post I did, I wasnt trying to be a dick or anything like that. Was just letting you know about Secret Agent. I knew thieves were one of the classes used in it. Lockpickers too now thanks to rose, so maybe if i get my stats right on my lp
r i dont use i can try it out since he is gm magery.

As for Boom's long ongoing events. I've only gotten 4 two silver trophies in the little over a year i have been here not counting the accidental silver/trophy galore drop day sometime in Decemeber 2015. Warlord, a mace dexxer, won this pvp tournament tonight. So dexxer can win. Me, personally, I dont believe i have ever made it past round 2 in any of Boom's tourneys. But I'll keep on trying. Currently I am working all day Saturdays and Sunday mornings, so I missed the tournament tonight, and never even got a chance at the mcpry event. I went to Bucs after I got off work Sunday evening for the McPry event around 6pm, farmed til 2am. Never saw trophy or silver, bad luck i guess. (Gonna try to start getting Saturday or Sundays off at work though maybe)

I wasnt trying to be a dick to you though in that post. Was letting you know about Secret Agent. Also just now thinking of bagball games. Get on the right team and thats an another easy 2 silver trophy.

Also Monster bash is a fun fun game. Bard with peacemaking or tamer is ideal for that one if boom feels enough players are online when he's on.