Why don't the people who built this shard care?

Topics related to Second Age
Eastwood

Why don't the people who built this shard care?

Post by Eastwood »

This server is a replica of a great classic game in it's arguably best era. I would say I prefer the Great Lord/Dread Lord days a little bit more, but I'll take T2A.

So why has it been left to decay and die? How hard is it to provide at least a "college try" to keep this server alive and healthy?
Catskills 97-99

Populus

Re: Why don't the people who built this shard care?

Post by Populus »

Eastwood wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:13 am This server is a replica of a great classic game in it's arguably best era. I would say I prefer the Great Lord/Dread Lord days a little bit more, but I'll take T2A.

So why has it been left to decay and die? How hard is it to provide at least a "college try" to keep this server alive and healthy?
It was mostly active thanks to the dedicated players who wanted to realize the shard to its true potential of becoming a replica. There was a fixed and static goal of accomplishing this. Currently the goal is as good as complete and interest has waned, there are more exciting UO shards out there. Although UOSA will be the 'one' shard for me.

The golden days are over, at least for another ten years minimum until people get that nostalgia itch again but then obviously not all of the veterans will get the itch simultaneously.

Let's be appreciative of current devs keeping this place online.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Blade Spirit

Post by Blade Spirit »

I agree that players should create content.
We are trying to create content, we've been trying for at least the past 6 months, but the reality is that content (and events, big events) should be created by GMs.
Right now there are many more appealing shards out there, but none of them has the magic of UOSA.
However, one cannot only live out of that.
WHen you try other shards, you see active GMs, new players training programs, very well polished content and so forth.
UOSA has nothing of that. For some thing is good, for other things is bad.
UOSA would defenitely need more advertising, forum cleaning, in game content to help players who join for the first time (there are still many) and it needs a way to promote players playign together.
This is all GM / owner stuff to do, players can really do little about it.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Honestly, it's been years of waning. UOSA ....and I'm sorry...is not going to make a big comeback. It's not because the server is bad. It's not because the GMs suck or the Admin aren't doin it anymore. It's because this era only gives you so much. It is locked in an era that had pretty good mechanics, but all of the promises of fixes of that era are never going to come.

Remember when T2A offered all of those promises of fixes and gameplay elements and you thought to yourself...wow, this current game with all of this new stuff would be great!....but OSI added things no one wanted along with those fixes and player elements.

It's as simple as this: Uosa is stuck in T2A. It's limited. What you did yesterday is likely a variation of what you did on a previous day. The hats you wear when it comes to roleplay, business, rogue characters etc are all done to death. The draw to UO has always been the people and to keep people you have to have hope for a brighter state of play and that can't happen. Derek set this thing up to be a museum of sorts. It's just an experiment and project to capture 1 time as accurately as possible. It was never meant to be a server for you to play forever...similarly to how it wasn't a server he planned to promote forever. Every GM since I started many many years ago casually let everyone know that and people either accepted it or ignored it.

The way this place is run is not indicative of a server that will get a surge of growth and interest probably ever again. I know that's hard to hear. I was hardcore into this place. We're all aging out of it and yeah that sucks, but at some point your playerbase grows out of the game and the new video game players want something more advanced. UO will eventually stop and that is similar to life in general.

People continue things they feel will continue and thrive. If you're staying to be representative of a thriving place and it still doesn't thrive, it's not because you didn't represent enough or do enough to keep it going, it's simply the decay of things in play.

Enjoy it while you have it if you're still enjoying it. Don't blame people for what it's become or the lack of interest. That's not anyone's fault.

GK out
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson