Civility in the trading forums

Moderator: Trade Moderators

Nevermore

Civility in the trading forums

Post by Nevermore »

NEW UPDATE:
New update at the bottom of this post

Lately there has been a lot of general uncivil behavior cropping up in the trading sections of our forums. I'd like to ask everyone to try and keep the trading forums more on the side of frank and civil discussion. This means no instigating in the threads, no insults, no bashing or questioning of the subject matter of the thread.

If there is an issue with the item(s) being sold I'd like to ask that all questioning of the validity of the sale/item(s) is done in a civil and non-inflammatory way. The trade forum is a great tool for the community and I think it should be respected as such. Try not making it a place to air personal issues with the traders or bog down the threads with off-topic remarks.

From this point on any issues in the trading forums may be met with deleting of posts, revoking access to the trade forums and possibly being banned from the forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Edit: We will potentially be creating a new sub-forum for the purpose of discussing specific trade threads like adults. I would also like to point out this post made by mikel123 as a general 'common sense' guide to what should be posted where or at all:
Mikel123 wrote:Lotus... I'm no mod, but my impression would be:

Posts like "cool sandals", "nice house spot", "ahh you're selling the katana you looted off of me in Wrong the other day", "FYI these are available from the Bowyer Merchant in Britain; they're not rare", "is this unused?" are OK to go in the thread.

Posts like "Lotus contacted me in-game and scammed me in-game" belong in Trash Talk as that's allowed within our rules; it's not a Trade forum issue.

Posts like "Lotus agreed to a trade in the Trade Forum and then scammed me when we met up in-game" should go in the stickied Scammers thread in the Trade Forum

Posts like "LOL u r selling a +15 force hally, no one wants that, get good then come back ROFL" or "no one would pay 100k for that color sandals bro" belong in Trash Talk.
Edit: New Trader's Discussion forum opened. Rule thread here: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 02&t=22163

NEW UPDATE:
Not that long ago there were issues with the trade forums and a lack of civility in them; I made a post about the rules and guidelines of the trade forums and I'm going to remind everyone of them right now: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=22151

I would also like to remind people of the traders discussion section created to avoid situations like certain listed individuals keep creating, the section is listed here: viewforum.php?f=102 And their rules are listed here: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=22163

The rules listed for the traders discussion forum are now going to be applied to the whole of the trade forums.

And to further ensure that this stops becoming an issue I will also start using the following guidelines for the trade forums. All of the rules listed are subjective of course, Blackfoot has been much more generous in his enforcement of the rules than I would have been up to this point. But since this has become such a large blip on my radar there will be changes. In the trade forums I'm going to ask everyone to assume that there's a 'golden rule' in place. Treat others how you would want to be treated, etc.

I'm also going to ask that you be civil and any issues you have with an auction should be taken up in the traders discussion forum; you may link your created thread in the auction thread but leave it at that. I'm also going to start harshly punishing people for being disruptive in the trade forums. I will use a two strike system. You'll get a warning. Then you won't have access to the trade forums.

Judging what's disruptive will be up to me or the other staff but it's going to be based on a common sense, 'sniff test' type of mentality. If your post doesn't pass the sniff test you're getting a warning. Then it'll be very clear what you should and shouldn't be posting. This is not meant to act as a means of censoring people or disallow discussion. Do it in a thoughtful, civil, non-disruptive manner using the appropriate channels of discussion and there won't be an issue.

This may seem unfair to some people but I'd like to quote this very poignant post:
BobDobbs wrote:There is no justice here. This is not a democracy or a court of law. You follow the rules or your privileges (not rights as you have none) are taken away.
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

lotus39

Re: Civility in the trading forums

Post by lotus39 »

Nevermore wrote:Lately there has been a lot of general uncivil behavior cropping up in the trading sections of our forums. I'd like to ask everyone to try and keep the trading forums more on the side of frank and civil discussion. This means no instigating in the threads, no insults, no bashing or questioning of the subject matter of the thread.

If there is an issue with the item(s) being sold I'd like to ask that all questioning of the validity of the sale/item(s) is done in a civil and non-inflammatory way. The trade forum is a great tool for the community and I think it should be respected as such. Try not making it a place to air personal issues with the traders or bog down the threads with off-topic remarks.

From this point on any issues in the trading forums may be met with deleting of posts, revoking access to the trade forums and possibly being banned from the forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I hear you loud and clear, where woudl you like the posts for calling people out for scamming etc?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Shame this wasn't in effect a few weeks ago. I'd of not taken so much crap.

I really didn't need all the extra stress with moderating a forum that seems impossible to moderate without taking crap. That mixed in with RL and work was just too annoying.

Well i guess i could have quit my job but then i'd be homeless and couldn't play.

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

This was much needed, thank you nevermore.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

ShastaMcNasty
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ShastaMcNasty »

its ridiculous that a mod had to jump on and finally say this...

[23:25] <chainsoar> some rat f#&* on foot just killed me with a single ebolt

[18:19] <MatrondeWinter> I once saw ShastaMcNasty kill chad- with only a pitchfork, 5 bandaids, and the unlock spell.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Lotus... I'm no mod, but my impression would be:

Posts like "cool sandals", "nice house spot", "ahh you're selling the katana you looted off of me in Wrong the other day", "FYI these are available from the Bowyer Merchant in Britain; they're not rare", "is this unused?" are OK to go in the thread.

Posts like "Lotus contacted me in-game and scammed me in-game" belong in Trash Talk as that's allowed within our rules; it's not a Trade forum issue.

Posts like "Lotus agreed to a trade in the Trade Forum and then scammed me when we met up in-game" should go in the stickied Scammers thread in the Trade Forum

Posts like "LOL u r selling a +15 force hally, no one wants that, get good then come back ROFL" or "no one would pay 100k for that color sandals bro" belong in Trash Talk.

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Mikel123 wrote:Lotus... I'm no mod, but my impression would be:

Makes sense

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Yeah well.... most trade forum "commentary" be it helpful or not, is usually there to derail a trade thread. This post draws a line and says don't cross it.

You can't allow one form of criticism and not the other or it will be almost impossible to moderate.

Really, it's not going to matter unless you have someone who doesn't play the game , to moderate it.

Otherwise all being a mod here does is defame and make a villain of someone trying to help. Players shouldn't be mods.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

GuardianKnight wrote:Yeah well.... most trade forum "commentary" be it helpful or not, is usually there to derail a trade thread.
You're de-railing this thread.

User was warned for this post.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

BobDobbs wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:Yeah well.... most trade forum "commentary" be it helpful or not, is usually there to derail a trade thread.
You're de-railing this thread.
I'm assuming this thread was meant to be locked from the beginning so i would say everyone is derailing this thread.
Though it isn't a trade thread and is coming across as a discussion therefore i'm perfectly in line.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

There should be some kind of guidelines on how many times you can BUMP a thread.

I mean. Once every so often is ok, but I think it was last week, someone was selling something. I dont even know what they were selling. But they bumped the thread like every hour, or 30 minutes or something. It was ridiculous!

I mean, the goods being sold were lost in all of the bumps.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I have previously advocated for, and continue to encourage the creation of an off shard trading site not moderated by us. The trading site, while a very useful resource would be (imho) much better were it a separate independent site in the spirit of the UO TradeSpot of era.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Derrick wrote:I have previously advocated for, and continue to encourage the creation of an off shard trading site not moderated by us. The trading site, while a very useful resource would be (imho) much better were it a separate independent site in the spirit of the UO TradeSpot of era.
Would the same in-game rules still be in effect, regarding scamming someone by posting on the forums, if the scam started in an off-site forum, instead of the UOSA forum?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Atraxi wrote:
Derrick wrote:I have previously advocated for, and continue to encourage the creation of an off shard trading site not moderated by us. The trading site, while a very useful resource would be (imho) much better were it a separate independent site in the spirit of the UO TradeSpot of era.
Would the same in-game rules still be in effect, regarding scamming someone by posting on the forums, if the scam started in an off-site forum, instead of the UOSA forum?
there are no IN GAME rules from scamming on the forums. you can be banned from the forums, that's it. it would be solely up to the moderator.

but it would be great if there was an off-site trading forum and you could tag users like
BeatingU
This user is a known scammer

etc
Last edited by nightshark on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

nightshark wrote:
Atraxi wrote:
there are no IN GAME rules from scamming on the forums. there are forum rules.
Oh, my mistake. I thought there was some in game consequence about that. I must have misunderstood.