Murderers in town and GuardZone boundaries.

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

REPORTED ISSUE:

ISSUE DETAILS:
Guardzone boundaries are off in some places compared to production T2A. Additionally, non-criminal reds hidden in town are susceptable to called guards. It was entirely possible in T2A to stealth into down without being guard-whacked provided you remained hidden and did not perform a criminal act within town-limits in the last 15 seconds (the duration of time allowed for guards to be called).

On moonglow there was a sign south of the bank warning you that you may be attacked from across the fence. I am sure you all remember this. This is only one example, and I am sure there are many. (The dock in cove for example)

The green line is the current boundary, it is too far from the gate in this example.

Additionally, if Line of sight was not met between the Caller and the Criminal, the "Guards" command would not work. On UOSA, NPC's will not call guards without Line of Sight, except when you are above/below them. It is entirely possible to have the guards called on you by an NPC who is on the second floor of a building, this should not be the case.

Currently players may call guards on anyone on-screen regardless of line of sight, also inaccurate. This one seems to be a bit fickle, sometimes they can call on you right through a wall, and other times their cries fall on deaf ears. This is particularly annoying given the amount of AFK macroers who have "guards" in their loops. I do not remember people macroing Guard-calling in town in real T2A. If you macroed in town back then, you kept your mouth shut or else you were quickly ousted as AFK and sent to jail.

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS:
N/A

STEPS TO RECREATE:
Find an npc on the first floor of a building, go to the second floor and commit a criminal act, the NPC will call guards on you even though she/he cannot see you.

Commit a criminal act on the other side of a wall where a player-character is calling guards, there is a good chance that you will be executed.

Create a murderer and hide/stealth into town lines, have another player call guards while you are out of sight.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
Implimentation of accurate boundaries (even if on a case-by-case basis), the addition of a Z-Axis line of sight check on NPC's calling guards and a standard and Z-axis check on player-characters calling guards.

DATE REPORTED:
June 17, 2009

DATE STATUS CHANGED:

Faust

Re: Murderers in town and GuardZone boundaries.

Post by Faust »

There are numerous areas that require guard boundaries or a change to the boundary. For example, guard towers are not guarded here unlike on OSI shards and the Britain western farm land needs to be covered with the western guard line of Britain.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The line of sight checks will be fixed soon. This was supposed to be in but was not functioning properly.
Be aware that guards can reveal hidden players in their vicinity.

As far as the guard lines, there's been a few areas that I've known were incorect for some time. Moonglow is a new one on the list.

It would be very nice to do these all comprehensively at once.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Be aware that guards can reveal hidden players in their vicinity.
Are you implying that the guards have some degree of detect hidden? I was never revealed by a guard, but that may be due to gm stealth/hide. I found that (on osi) even with gm detect there was a slim chance that stealthers were revealed automatically, and only within a radius of a few tiles.

Can I ask where you found this information?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I don't have a reference, I looked briefly, if anyone else can add anything to this i'd appreciate it.

Their skill is not that high so a gm hider is not going to be detected.

Faust

Post by Faust »

A guards detect hidden skill is one of the few skills that they receive upon creation in the demo.

I can't really comment on if they actually use it or not though.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Both of you answered my question, thanks.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

are you saying that only NPC's need LOS to call guards?

I don't recall PC's needing LOS to gwhack someone...

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

fencesitters hehe