Obscenity that disrespects the UOSA player community

Topics related to Second Age
NewToUOSA

Obscenity that disrespects the UOSA player community

Post by NewToUOSA »

I started a new alt to play around with cartography skill and was PK'd by a toon named "FU_KNIG__R" in all caps but of course not censored as I've chosen to do. I completely understand that the admins can't be responsible for this sort of thing so I'm making people aware of it. I don't care if you're a miscreant and think that sort of thing is cute but I don't and I think it is very disrespectful of the UOSA community because it reflects very poorly on the server and can't be helpful in new player retention. I know this to be true because I myself would quit playing if I were to see this sort of thing become rampant. I would hope that this type of offense would warrant a banning of the entire account and be a warning to all that can't be civil outside the game world.

As a white male I find it pretty offensive but can only imagine how that hateful behavior would make a person of color feel.

Vega/Delo

Re: Obscenity that disrespects the UOSA player community

Post by Vega/Delo »

I'm almost sure if you message a GM they will change their name to generic player

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

These kind of player names are common in my experience. Too common. Maybe a ban of accounts after a second chance would be good?

I also observe racist and anti-semitic talk/jokes quite often. A little sad. Dunno what could be done to reduce it.
Lankgord: Hello. I'm New To The Server. Any Drama Going On Lately?

[20:38] <newYorK>i love how franz is in game robbing me while im reading his comic
[20:38] <newYorK> priceless

Ganklord

Post by Ganklord »

Freedom Of Speech, Edited for violations of forum rules.

PS. You Don't Have The Right Not To Be Insulted In A Real Democracy. Try The Middle East For That.

-----
User banned for this post. -Braden
Last edited by Kaivan on Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Intentional racism. Permanent ban as per Braden.
Jason- wrote:It's not just you. I want to punch a baby after reading his sentences.
okgoace wrote:dont spend too much time with this ganklord character, he is the ultimate griefer, lurker, troll.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Ganklord wrote:Freedom Of Speech, Edited for violations of forum rules.

PS. You Don't Have The Right Not To Be Insulted In A Real Democracy. Try The Middle East For That.
Yeah and being a sociopath is freedom of action. Yay sociopaths!

Wydstrin

Post by Wydstrin »

well, UOSA is not a democracy. And secondly things of that nature in the USA can be considered "fighting words" and therefore not protected as free speech. I am pretty certain that such names are against UOSA's terms of service... I'll go look...

Wydstrin

Post by Wydstrin »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8

yup...

obscene names may be changed at staff discretion.

Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Moreover, the First Amendment only protects your speech against government encroachment, and in limited circumstances. But yeah, go on screaming "freedom of speech!" thinking you can just spew hateful crap without reproach.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Glad GankLord got banned for that shit. Has no place here.

Also search myUOSA for "generic player" and you'll get the idea of just how much people think they can get away with stupid names. (spoiler: there's more than the 100 results the page can display)
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Zordak

Post by Zordak »

You're allowed to do so much other obnoxious stuff. I don't see why this should be treated so strictly.

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

NewToUOSA wrote:I started a new alt to play around with cartography skill and was PK'd by a toon named "FU_KNIG__R" in all caps but of course not censored as I've chosen to do. I completely understand that the admins can't be responsible for this sort of thing so I'm making people aware of it. I don't care if you're a miscreant and think that sort of thing is cute but I don't and I think it is very disrespectful of the UOSA community because it reflects very poorly on the server and can't be helpful in new player retention. I know this to be true because I myself would quit playing if I were to see this sort of thing become rampant. I would hope that this type of offense would warrant a banning of the entire account and be a warning to all that can't be civil outside the game world.

As a white male I find it pretty offensive but can only imagine how that hateful behavior would make a person of color feel.
You sound like a very proud white person. When someone makes white racist comments, does it make you angry or only when you see other races under attack? What if this person who made the character name was actually black, then would it be ok? Would you feel better if you were pk'd by "happy rainbow sunshine". I actually find it offensive that youre so quick to ban anyone that hasnt done anything except pk you. My point is, it's all ok or non of it's ok. Staff will decide, not you.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I was sad to see Ganklord devolve from a funny guy who spent his time killing new players using only new characters to the man banned today.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Zordak wrote:You're allowed to do so much other obnoxious stuff. I don't see why this should be treated so strictly.
Because it's wrong. Sometimes things are just objectively wrong.

ArcadianDelSol

Post by ArcadianDelSol »

because what is it that we all secretly want right now?

To relive the glory days when UO was not simply the best game online - but the ONLY game online.

what we want is a community - and 3 people online can't make that. You need players. So you need to appeal to the masses, and that means you dont want to have almost half of your potential community going to other servers because they're not comfortable with idiots like the gentleman above who was banned.

PKing, stealing - those are part of the game. Being offensive just for the sake of being offensive?

That's not part of a community and thats not part of the game.

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

I will add an official statement to this mix.

Players are generally given a lot of leeway on their actions in game due to the sandbox nature of UO; however, in-line with our rules (http://www.uosecondage.com/Rules), we do not tolerate racism.

We actually have very few rules on this shard, 15 by my count; thus, we expect everyone to respect the rules that we do have.

We hope that the belligerent actions of a few do not ruin the game for everyone else.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen