Newb again- going red q/a for UOSA vets

Topics related to Second Age
Zerogeist

Newb again- going red q/a for UOSA vets

Post by Zerogeist »

Hi,

I recently decided to give this shard a try after many years breaking from the game. I have very little idea on how or where to start and decided to ask for some guidance.

Some things about me/my play style:
-My end goal/game is just to honestly be red again and pvp 90% of the time and just have enough alts and a little poop house to resupply.

-my red will be a melee (never been a full caster type) with hybrid stats and skills (except weapon, tac, resist and probably tracking)

Questions:

-Tracking skill: is there a tested breakdown of screens tack able compared to skill level?
-Possible to be a murderer and not have stat loss on death?
-I believe there are no rune books in this era?
-poison curing looks very easy here ( from wiki it appears even a reg pot can cure lvl4)?
-melee swings timer does not count down while riding around/chasing?
-tricks to switching weapons/combat modes reset things?
-any ethereal mounts?
-is the 15s self bandage time reduced by skill?
- I did not see any special abilities here for weapon skills ( crushing blow etc)?
- are there ore colored weapons and armor?
- meditation armor limitations? Iv read even studded chest is fail
-explo pot throwing effected by alchemy skill?

Macroing
-can you skill Margery/resist in town with bank restock razor macros?
-will mana vampire skill resist magic here?

Startup
-tamer/provoker most likely the best character to start for cash flow?
- any experience or tips are welcome for start up again with going red as the goal.

Thank you for your time/wisdom mates

-Zero

WiseOne

Re: Newb again- going red q/a for UOSA vets

Post by WiseOne »

I don't pvp but from what I understand, the best class possible is the sword tank mage.

Anatomy
Magery
Meditation
Resist
Tactics
Swordsmanship
Wrestling
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

Tracking skill: is there a tested breakdown of screens tack able compared to skill level? every 10 skills = 1 screen

-Possible to be a murderer and not have stat loss on death? yes aslong as u have les then 5 short terms

-I believe there are no rune books in this era? yes there are runebooks in this era

-poison curing looks very easy here ( from wiki it appears even a reg pot can cure lvl4)? yes although it may take more then one attempt

-melee swings timer does not count down while riding around/chasing? sure it does

-tricks to switching weapons/combat modes reset things?Not sure about this one

-any ethereal mounts?No

-is the 15s self bandage time reduced by skill?No

- I did not see any special abilities here for weapon skills ( crushing blow etc)?No

- are there ore colored weapons and armor? Armor Yes Weapons No

- meditation armor limitations? Iv read even studded chest is fail Pretty much any Armor will slow down meditation if your gonna have med armor is pretty useless

-explo pot throwing effected by alchemy skill? Nope
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

Zerogeist

Post by Zerogeist »

Thank you for the replies so far!

Hybrid burst hally mages exist here? Oh no :-(

Jayrich

Post by Jayrich »

i cant answer all your questions but i will answer what im sure about and i will let others put in what they are sure about also.

tracking at gm level i believe is 8-10 screens of tracking which is damn far.

you can be a murderer and not have stat loss but its pretty complicated i think you should read a thread on the forums about this. quickest way i can explain it is if you have over 5 short term murder counts you will be in stat loss. short term counter lasts 8 ingame hours, a long term count is also collected for each kill which will take 40 in game hours to burn off each kill.

so you can potentially murder 5 players and be red but not be in stat loss but on your 6th short term you will be in stat. once you burn off one short term count you will not be in stat but you will still be red due to the long term counts. i know its confusing please search the forums for better explanation.

we do have rune books but they are not blessed or newbied meaning if you die they are lootable. they are also able to be stolen.

to my knowledge the swing timer does count down while moving but you must stop to hit someone. (i may be wrong)

different weapon types do reset the swing timer so a swordsman mage may use both a halberd and say a katana for cycling or maybe you use the halberd for hard hits but use your katana to disrupt.

there are no etheral mounts.

the bandage timer i believe is 18 seconds and no skilling to healing / anat etc does not reduce the timer.

we do not have special weapon attacks .

we have colored armors but not colored weapons.

most mages dont use any armor but you can use leather , i want to say anything over 11 ar will fail med. might be wrong. i know that most studded pieces including a studded tunic will fail you.

explosion pot is not effected by your characters skill level but a gm explosion potion is more powerful then say normal.

you will not gain resist from macroing magery in town. all magic spells in town give 1 damage. you will get magery gains but no resist gains sorry.

imo bard is fastest/cheapest way to make a character to gain money to skill up other characters. taming will take a longer time but in the end be much more profitable.

good luck and welcome to UoSA

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Kevin beat me to most of them, so I'll just expand in a couple.

- Don't think there's a precise break down, but as a guide 20 skill will track your screen, and GM tracking will track up to 5 screens away. Once you have a traget you can move away and still have their track. (I have never been able to track 10 screens away with GM tracking)

- tricks to switching weapons/combat modes reset things?
It does. You can cycle your weapons using the wrestling timer if you do it correctly

- can you skill Margery/resist in town with bank restock razor macros?
You can for magery, but you won't gain resist in town. Many people have small house they can friend/coown you to to help you gain resist.

-will mana vampire skill resist magic here?
I don't think I understand this one properly, but mana vampire can, and is, resisted here...a lot!

- tamer/provoker most likely the best character to start for cash flow?
Provoker seems to be faster, and easier.

- any experience or tips are welcome for start up again with going red as the goal.
Follow this link for a lot of rubbish with a little of insight.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

TheAbracadaver

Post by TheAbracadaver »

Not sure of the exact number you cap out at, but training my mage I used a full leather suit to train meditation (13 ar, not exceptional) and I seemed to meditate fine in it.
The mana reign rate is noticeably faster with just a robe (3 ar) then with leather on though so if you plan to rely heavily on casting I'd go light.

Also training resist here is different then later stages of UO. Resist gain, from what I understand, is checked based on amount of damage done to you per spell. So no, casting mana vampire on yourself will not get any resist gains and casting in town (auto 1 damage) will not give any gains.

Zerogeist

Post by Zerogeist »

Thank you guys for the replies!

Any tips for making a macer? It's looking like hally Mage is going to out do any melee type if they allow cycling and insta hits :-(

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

Zerogeist wrote:
Any tips for making a macer? It's looking like hally Mage is going to out do any melee type if they allow cycling and insta hits :-(
My advise - Don't go macing, the stamina loss is negated by Red Pots/Food eating and everyone knows it.
Go with swords (Katanas fastest in the game as far as I'm aware), stick some poison on it and you're set.
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Nystal wrote:
Zerogeist wrote:
My advise - Don't go macing, the stamina loss is negated by Red Pots/Food eating and everyone knows it.
Go with swords (Katanas fastest in the game as far as I'm aware), stick some poison on it and you're set.
At the same time macing doing stamina damage constantly has an advantage over DPed weapons, you can only eat so much food... and when they run out of potions there is no cure spell for stamina drain. Because it cuts into low dex builds and into the ar of dexxers I think it's actually a better way to go. You can just as easily cure poison and most of the time unless they are a poisoner they arent going to have a surplus store of DPed weapons in their backpack.

Macing
Archery
Magery 50
Resist
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Hiding 50
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

*deleted* dropping too much knowledge lol

Horngold

Post by Horngold »

I think it is a pain in the neck to fight against macers. For one thing, I don't usually carry around a gazillion different red potions. Secondly, you have to unequip your spear or whatever in order to drink them, which forces you to run away and look like a panzy. And as others have said, poison is not overly useful.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Poisoning not useful? When your character can re-poison whatever weapon you're using, I'd say you're wrong there. Most people don't carry that many cures. Myself, I only carry 10, so any prolonged fight with a poisoning dexer is most likely going to end with me recalling.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Zerogeist

Post by Zerogeist »

All in all it looks like ye old hally Mage is the way to go, I forgot this crap existed in this era. With no procs and abutting to cycle with magic, any straight dexer does not have a chance here (ESP with 15 sec bandies)

Pretty sure no one is going to die from straight melee without procs.

Can purple pots still be thrown here at last target?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Tank Mages I will admit are the best solo build against most others for the mere sake they don't have a delay on healing outside of interrupts

However...

Dexxers are better applied in group fights. You can last target purple potions (though they aren't heat seeking) and I am pretty sure, at least how it used to be that your AR absorbs damage from potions.

Another build that isn't made to kill solely but rather to weaken or draw fire is the wandering healer sort of template. (even though it can and has killed it just makes people run away screaming usually)

Macing
Tactics
Healing
Resist
Magery
Wrestling
Meditation

95 strength 70 dexterity 60 intelligence

Primarily your mana will be going towards healing, you can heal with a greater heal gnarled staff in combat, and use bandages in conjuction. You can heal anywhere from 23-60 hp with healing no anatomy. That really isn't something to scoff at. 100 med and 60 intelligence is not as slow as you may think either considering you just need 11 mana to g-heal...with passive med rates you can cast at least 7 g-heals right off the bat taking into consideration casting time. Your opponent will be very frustrated when you g-heal redlined, hit your bandage, drink a potion, rearm, get whacked and your damage just disappears because of the bandage as they e-bolt you and you use your staff to heal that damage after applying another bandage as you stay on top of them. A dex of 70 can be boosted to 90 with a greater stamina pot, that's actually pretty nice with a Quarter staff. I think it swings roughly 1.7 seconds and does 7-24 damage each hit roughly just with tactics.

If you aren't accustomed to tank mage combat try this one first. Keep your stamina up and see the benefits of instahit but in this case with mace weapons. You wont have to time it like tanks if you stay close to full stamina it will do it every cast no matter how small. Remember your anatomy must be at least 80 to GM Healing before dropping it. It's not hardline offensive but the survivability is tremendous. You become pretty much a mana sponge and can keep them on the defensive shortly after.

Being this is made to counter low dex builds primarily that rely on magery and insta-hit I say choose macing (use bigger damage weapons to wear down dexxer armor as you stay the distance as much as possible). However you can substitute swords or fencing just as well if you want. I just think mace weapons play up to the strengths of it better personally.

*remember to sometimes utilize offensive spells that do not need evaluating intelligence to be effective
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 am, edited 15 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.