MURDER COUNTS

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Derrick

Re: MURDER COUNTS

Post by Derrick »

son wrote:The 5 minute thing is not era acurate anyway, why was it even implemented?
Rep FAQ: Click How do I report being murdered? wrote: How often will I be able to report a murderer?
He killed you TWICE? You will not be able to report a murderer a second time until five minutes have passed where you have reported no one.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Hmm.. so we can expect change then?

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

The loop hole is era accurate. ^_^
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Talandar

Post by Talandar »

from the quote below doesnt say you cant report the murderer twice..it just says there's 5 minute delay on being able to..No where in that quote does it say there wont be a gump popup available after 5 minutes has passed. IF a murderer kills u then uv got every right to report them. Common sense should dictate to players that they oda be careful who they kill and how often (i.e. res killing) its not a carebear world out there so ya do the crime u pay the time.

Rep FAQ: Click How do I report being murdered? wrote:
How often will I be able to report a murderer?
He killed you TWICE? You will not be able to report a murderer a second time until five minutes have passed where you have reported no one.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Talandar wrote:from the quote below doesnt say you cant report the murderer twice..it just says there's 5 minute delay on being able to..No where in that quote does it say there wont be a gump popup available after 5 minutes has passed. IF a murderer kills u then uv got every right to report them. Common sense should dictate to players that they oda be careful who they kill and how often (i.e. res killing) its not a carebear world out there so ya do the crime u pay the time.

Your nitpicking. Theres plenty of evidence from in-era to show that you remained grey to your murderer for a short period after your death. If you were killed in/near town, it was usually necessary to wait out this timer before returning to the bank to restock.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Rammar wrote: Theres plenty of evidence from in-era to show that you remained grey to your murderer for a short period after your death.
Was this fixed recently? I killed a guy yesterday and he was grey to me when he came back
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Karik maybe you killed a thief? I don't think this has been changed, although I have not tested.

Derrick can we expect a change on this?

iamreallysquall

Rammar wrote:
Talandar wrote:from the quote below doesnt say you cant report the murderer twice..it just says there's 5 minute delay on being able to..No where in that quote does it say there wont be a gump popup available after 5 minutes has passed. IF a murderer kills u then uv got every right to report them. Common sense should dictate to players that they oda be careful who they kill and how often (i.e. res killing) its not a carebear world out there so ya do the crime u pay the time.

Your nitpicking. Theres plenty of evidence from in-era to show that you remained grey to your murderer for a short period after your death. If you were killed in/near town, it was usually necessary to wait out this timer before returning to the bank to restock.
this grey timer though was activated after the first report Hence you could hold counts if they were dumb like in this example and just keep killing you despite you being blue to them if i was grey to him i could under stand the complaint i definitely remember this possible i would never rez kill someone that was blue to me after a rez

iamreallysquall

RoseRIP wrote:Karik maybe you killed a thief? I don't think this has been changed, although I have not tested.

Derrick can we expect a change on this?
Change what? show evidence you couldn't hold gumps in era because you could and you will never find to show you couldn't the loop hole existed you could hold counts and they would stack because i was blue the entire time i never flaged grey because i never awarded you the first count hence it working as intended no where it says anything about gumps not being able to be held this is because thats how it was just not many people took advantage of it like ROAR i am angry Count walk away

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

iamreallysquall wrote:Change what? show evidence you couldn't hold gumps in era because you could and you will never find to show you couldn't the loop hole existed you could hold counts and they would stack because i was blue the entire time i never flaged grey because i never awarded you the first count hence it working as intended no where it says anything about gumps not being able to be held this is because thats how it was just not many people took advantage of it like ROAR i am angry Count walk away

Whatever gibberish u just said there I dunno.... but here is a quote from Derrick on the matter, this is live on test right now.
Derrick wrote:The 5 minute restriction on giving a murder count is now checked each time a Murder Report menu is sent, reports can no longer be saved up and then sent all at once.

iamreallysquall

RoseRIP wrote:
iamreallysquall wrote:Change what? show evidence you couldn't hold gumps in era because you could and you will never find to show you couldn't the loop hole existed you could hold counts and they would stack because i was blue the entire time i never flaged grey because i never awarded you the first count hence it working as intended no where it says anything about gumps not being able to be held this is because thats how it was just not many people took advantage of it like ROAR i am angry Count walk away

Whatever gibberish u just said there I dunno.... but here is a quote from Derrick on the matter, this is live on test right now.
Derrick wrote:The 5 minute restriction on giving a murder count is now checked each time a Murder Report menu is sent, reports can no longer be saved up and then sent all at once.
so all that's changed is the fact that you can not send them all at once, you still would of got 40 counts if it was accurate and they would of been awarded at 5 min intervals and the gumps would have still held.
Current change is not holding gump on test but it should be feedback has been posted

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Derrick wrote:Because of the uncertainty on the way the 5 minute timer interacts with the murder report pop-up, I think it's essential that we do testing on the demo so we understand the full detail of the proper behavior.
Findings in the demo:
  • The 5 minute rule for reporting the same person for murder does apply.
  • If you've reported a person for murder in the last 5 mins you do not get a report menu.
  • You cannot move (even with arrow keys) when the Report Murder menu is up, this makes the question of stacking reports nearly mute.
  • You always get the opprotunity to post a bounty in the Demo, even if the killer is not a murderer; although i'm not completely schooled on the old notoriety system, this may have changed.
  • You do not get a "You have been reported for murder!" message in the demo, howerver you do lose karma when a murder is reported, so it is easy to tell when you've been reported.
My Grand Adventure:

I killed Derrick:
DemoMurders1.jpg
At first i did not think I'd have any way of moving, but due to the old Auto-Follow mechanic with active combat, i found that by tabbing in and out i could get the ghost to follow his killer even though the report murder gump was up, and I was unable to otherwise move using mouse or arrow keys:
DemoMurders2.jpg
Appoaching the healers finally; this took quite a while:
DemoMurders3.jpg
Luckily the res menu did pop up above the report menu, and I was able to use it to res:
DemoMurders4.jpg
Headed back out of town, once alive i was able to move normally using either mouse or arrow keys even though the report menu was still open:
DemoMurders5.jpg
Killing Derrick again:
DemoMurders6.jpg
Got another menu:
DemoMurders7.jpg
Said Yes to the first menu, and the old one was still there. You can see that the second murder (assuming most recent menu was on top) was reported successfully:
DemoMurders8.jpg
Immediately said yes to the second menu, but the murderer received no count, aparent by lack of karma loss.
DemoMurders9.jpg
The next step is to repeat the process, but waiting 5 minutes (better make it 10 to be safe) between reports.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Did the second test. I also discovered that regular auto-follow (<CTRL> click) works to get the ghost to follow with the menu up; I'm kicking myself for not having thought of that one sooner.

Skipping into the sequence a little, I'm already resed with one menu open:
DemoMurdersB1.jpg
Killed Derrick, received 2nd menu:
DemoMurdersB2.jpg
Reported a murder. I did get the message of karma loss, and also the message of "You are now known as a murderer" at this time, but i wasn't fast enough to capture it, i was messing around with the clock:
DemoMurdersB3.jpg
Waited 10 minutes and reported second murder. There was no karma loss and I don't believe the murder was reported.
DemoMurdersB4.jpg
Just to be sure that a murder could actually be reported after the player was resed, I checked. (had to use tab follow again to get resed on this one as Avatar was whacked for being red.):
DemoMurdersB5.jpg
DemoMurdersB6.jpg
DemoMurdersB7.jpg
DemoMurdersB8.jpg
DemoMurdersB9.jpg
DemoMurdersBA.jpg

What this has demonstrated is that you cannot hold murder menus and report them later.
What i believe is happening here is that the old murder menu is being invalidated on the server when the new one is sent. They are stacking because the server does not have a mechanism for closing old client menus (only gumps, different system. The demo client report murder window is a menu, not a gump)

There are a couple possible mechanisms at work here that are preventing stacking of reports; either the shard is invalidating the second report because you already have a pending report for that killer and just resending the first one, or it is invalidating the first report when the second is sent. In either case, it's not allowing the double counts, whether spread out for 5 mins or not.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Wow. Nicely done! 8)

This is how I thought it was, shoulda stuck to my guns!

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Awesome! thanks Derrick, that's some dedication right there :)

This makes me want to download the demo and mess around with it.