Pet gating through wall stopped working.

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Pet gating through wall stopped working.

Post by GuardianKnight »

This has always been the way to get pets out of peoples houses so i don't know why it would be taken out.

I tried to gate my dragon out of a MyM tower as it was right near the wall and it refused to go in the gate...it just kept trying to follow me but no enter the gate.

Also the bug where people can lock their doors to lock pets inside...they should be opening doors . Dragons by nature open doors.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Derrick

Re: Pet gating through wall stopped working.

Post by Derrick »

You should not have been able to gate pets through house walls, this was a bug introduced by me long ago and was fixed when brought to my attention.

One of the issues with fixing the creatures opening doors from the inside is the clear, yet to many house owners expected vulnerability of patio houses. If I make this change I'm sure a majority of the patio houses on the shard will be looted in the first hour after patch.

I'm just not sure how to handle this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I suppose you could treat EVs as non-handed NPCs. I assume that's the issue here. I don't remember one way or another whether they were considered to have hands and be able to open doors or not.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Mikel123 wrote:I suppose you could treat EVs as non-handed NPCs. I assume that's the issue here. I don't remember one way or another whether they were considered to have hands and be able to open doors or not.
Aye, EV's are the problem. I'm pretty positive EV's could open doors (they do visible have hands like the rest of the elementals), and that ability has implications far beyond this issue, so I'm reluctant to remove it on speculation.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I don't know how you accidentally introduced the tameables house gating bug derrick. That was something we used since day 1 to save pets.....That was a bug that was NEVER fixed up even until AOS and the custom housing. I know there are disagreements on some tamer mechanics here due to unclear patch notes etc.... But i am fairly sure that this one was tamer 101 : how to save pet from house griefers.

This pre dates UOSA.....i'm just not sure how anyone convinced the staff that this wasn't normal. It's the same as if my dragon is trapped behind a wall at hedge maze a few spaces away and i take the teleporter. The dragon should auto teleport with me.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I'll say this, regarding the patio house loot issue.

I know there's that grey box that comes up when I log in, and it says a few recent messages, like about the new server and the Twitter. But, I played here for 5 months before I even took a second look at that box.

So if you want to warn people about this issue, I'd suggest making a new box pop up for the week, or whatever time period you want to have the warning for. And I'd make it red or orange or purple - completely different from anything else that pops up. I'd also suggest making it appear for 2 weeks, or whatever the New --> IDOC/drop time is, so you know for sure that every player who logged in to refresh a house during that time got a chance to see it.

I'll also say, I bet it's less than 10 patio houses that lack the security to be safe from this. The vast majority of patios are safe from it already, and most of the ones that aren't, are simply loot storage houses for people with way too much stuff (mostly fishermen). In a sense, this shouldn't matter... but realistically, I don't see anyone losing their "life savings" from this.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I would also like to point out that if someone goes out of their way to steal someone elses tameable.....you shouldn't care if they get looted because they stole a door opening dragon and left it there. If we are worried about security holes in houses.....leave that to chumbucket.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Mikel123 wrote:I'll say this, regarding the patio house loot issue.

I know there's that grey box that comes up when I log in, and it says a few recent messages, like about the new server and the Twitter. But, I played here for 5 months before I even took a second look at that box.

So if you want to warn people about this issue, I'd suggest making a new box pop up for the week, or whatever time period you want to have the warning for. And I'd make it red or orange or purple - completely different from anything else that pops up. I'd also suggest making it appear for 2 weeks, or whatever the New --> IDOC/drop time is, so you know for sure that every player who logged in to refresh a house during that time got a chance to see it.

I'll also say, I bet it's less than 10 patio houses that lack the security to be safe from this. The vast majority of patios are safe from it already, and most of the ones that aren't, are simply loot storage houses for people with way too much stuff (mostly fishermen). In a sense, this shouldn't matter... but realistically, I don't see anyone losing their "life savings" from this.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have never owned a patio due to their reputation as e-z-loot. Im kinda shocked this is not possible here really. If its accurate it should be in, although I totally understand Derricks dilemma here, but 2 weeks of warning in game, and a sticky post on forums, possibly IRC messages as well, should be more than enough fair warning for people to sort things out.

No adding something because it would inconvenience people is not a valid reason in my book, because then it becomes picking and choosing no?
?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Caswallon wrote:No adding something because it would inconvenience people is not a valid reason in my book, because then it becomes picking and choosing no?
I agree with this, but with the exception that these houses in this configuration never should have been safe. Becuase people expect it to be safe, possibly though in through game testing, we need to make sure people are fully warned before a change is made. I didn't mean to suggest that we shouldn't fix this.

I'm aware that no one ever reads the message of the day, but I guess it will be to their misfortune.

GK: The break in vulnerability in patio houses has nothing to do with stealing pets

As such, I'm hesitant to fully detail the vulnerability of these houses as well :/
GuardianKnight wrote:But i am fairly sure that this one was tamer 101 : how to save pet from house griefers.

This pre dates UOSA.....i'm just not sure how anyone convinced the staff that this wasn't normal.
If this is the case, there should be a reference out there somewhere to doing this. I certainly was not aware that this was ever possible.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

That is the catch 22. As you say no one really reads MOTD,[I do personally but that's me.] and highlighting exactly what the security issue is only serves to broadcast it to the entire shard.

I dont know what you could do as an alternative solution tbh, could it possibly be a forced pop up message in neon red warning patio owners of an upcoming change to monster AI allowing all creatures, including summons, to open doors from the inside even if locked? Its not very clear but I dont see any other way of phrasing it without spelling it out.

I just had a thought, would it be possible to have a message pop up upon a player refreshing a patio house only?
?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

so on a patio house the pet could get up onto the patio and then walk inside then out the front door?
if the patio doors are locked then all is safe correct?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

BlackFoot wrote:so on a patio house the pet could get up onto the patio and then walk inside then out the front door?
if the patio doors are locked then all is safe correct?
To spell it out, you can cast an EV over the "bar" in the middle into the back room and then lead him around to open both doors between there and the patio.

The vulnerability is that most players expect that if they lock the back doors, or even just the one off the patio, they can leave their front door unlocked for public patio access.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Derrick is leet griefer. Sound familiar?

Spoiler: Derrick is chumbucket.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I don't remember gating pets out of houses from the outside, but I do remember taking the teleporter in Moonglow with a pet beyond the hedge and it coming with me. So. I can confirm GK's statement.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Mikel123 wrote:I don't remember gating pets out of houses from the outside, but I do remember taking the teleporter in Moonglow with a pet beyond the hedge and it coming with me. So. I can confirm GK's statement.
Yep that doesn't work here either. Pets would teleport with you even if they were outside teh hedgemaze a few steps.