Razor and Windows 7 Question

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Razor and Windows 7 Question

Post by Nystal »

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could help me with this. Its more of an irritation than anything else.

Due to the Layout of Windows 7, the Blue Bar at the Top of UO that normally displays the Reagent / Bandage count in windows XP, is faded out in Windows 7 style.

Does anyone know of an easy way for me to fix this? Ideally I dont want to change the way the bar works for all of windows, just for UO.

Werthers Chewbackas

Re: Razor and Windows 7 Question

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

Nystal wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could help me with this. Its more of an irritation than anything else.

Due to the Layout of Windows 7, the Blue Bar at the Top of UO that normally displays the Reagent / Bandage count in windows XP, is faded out in Windows 7 style.

Does anyone know of an easy way for me to fix this? Ideally I dont want to change the way the bar works for all of windows, just for UO.
Sorry you made the mistake of buying Windows 7. You should definitely do some more research into what you're buying for future reference.

Try changing the GUI a bit. That's pretty much the only reason why nothing ever works on the latest two atrocities.
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Windows 7 is pretty good actually but I didn't try Razor yet on it.

Try enabling the Classic look.
or
Start Razor in Windows XP compatibility mode?
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

Actually I disagree regarding Windows 7. From our trial runs at my job, Windows 7 out performs Windows Vista on the same machine. Not just a little bit, but significantly. Keep in mind, this praise to Microsoft is coming from a hardcore Linux administrator. Maybe Microsoft finally did something right?

As far as the information bar is concerned. I have not tested this in Windows 7, but when dealing with the same issue in Windows Vista, if you right click on the razor program icon, go to properties, and under the Compatibility tab, check "Disable Desktop Composition". This method prevents you from having to disable the cool desktop effects globally, and only disables them inside razor/uo.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

orionsune wrote:Actually I disagree regarding Windows 7. From our trial runs at my job, Windows 7 out performs Windows Vista on the same machine. Not just a little bit, but significantly. Keep in mind, this praise to Microsoft is coming from a hardcore Linux administrator. Maybe Microsoft finally did something right?

As far as the information bar is concerned. I have not tested this in Windows 7, but when dealing with the same issue in Windows Vista, if you right click on the razor program icon, go to properties, and under the Compatibility tab, check "Disable Desktop Composition". This method prevents you from having to disable the cool desktop effects globally, and only disables them inside razor/uo.
Thanks everybody for your responses. Orionsune in particular - this has sorted it out for me and now the Bars appearing just like it does on my XP Machine, and the beautiful thing is that the GUI returns to normal after closing UO. So many many thanks! I was just running Razor in Compatibility mode before hand, hadnt even thought of that additional option.

With regards Windows 7, I whole heartily disagree that I made a mistake. This is the best operating system I've ever used from Microsoft (at least since Windows 3.11 :) ) I previously had Vista and I find not only does the machine out perform my previous Vista client by a good deal, its even extended my Battery life with better power settings.
Also I've had one crash since I installed the Release Candidate on day of Launch and the only time I have trouble is trying to play older stuff, like UO :)

Anyways once again, Thanks a lot and hopefully this thread might be useful to anyone else who is too lazy to check how many Regs they have :)
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

Nystal wrote:With regards Windows 7, I whole heartily disagree that I made a mistake. This is the best operating system I've ever used from Microsoft (at least since Windows 3.11 :) )
Ah yes, those were the days. I started with DOS 4.x (can't remember the subversion number) and Windows 3.11. AOL had no internet and used a separate client than under windows. Can't forget the dial-up BBSes. The only internet anyone ever had was a dial-up account to a local linux shell and "lynx" text based web browser. Way before PPP was made available. Enough reminiscing...
Nystal wrote: Anyways once again, Thanks a lot and hopefully this thread might be useful to anyone else who is too lazy to check how many Regs they have :)
No problem.

Baldamier

Post by Baldamier »

My first taste of "instant messaging" was a program called procomm plus. It was a terminal program that ran from Windows (3.1). I'd dial up a friend of mine and we'd type to each other, transfer files, etc. At the time we thought we were l33t.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Baldamier wrote:My first taste of "instant messaging" was a program called procomm plus. It was a terminal program that ran from Windows (3.1). I'd dial up a friend of mine and we'd type to each other, transfer files, etc. At the time we thought we were l33t.
procomm will always be eilte.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

Baldamier wrote:My first taste of "instant messaging" was a program called procomm plus. It was a terminal program that ran from Windows (3.1). I'd dial up a friend of mine and we'd type to each other, transfer files, etc. At the time we thought we were l33t.
Yeah, procomm was one of the many com terminal programs used to dialup BBSes and Unix shells. There was Boyan, Terminate, and plenty others. I personally used Terminate.

I also remember this was the era of 1v1 multiplayer games, Doom for example two friends would dial each other and play. There was a 3rd party system that was setup before Kali, that allowed users to dialup a 1-800 number and pay a small fee, that would allow Doom players to play more than 2 people. Then came Kali which encapsulated IPX over TCP.

Sorry a little carried away with the nostalgia.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Yeah, I was a registered Kali user too :)
Procomm wasn't shareware I don't think, but I downloaded it off a bbs somewhere I belive
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."