Post by MatronDeWinter »

REPORTED ISSUE:
Moving guarded items flags the "guarder" criminal/murderer

ISSUE DETAILS:
This patch
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 03/18/1998
clearly states...
# Changes to pet guarding:

* Pets will be immediately aggressive when a guarded object is used or taken.
* Guarded objects and people will have [guarded] over their head when looked at, and approaching them will give you a warning.
* You will not be able to guard items that are in towns.
* Items that are in towns will be considered not to be guarded when they are left there or if they move, when they walk there. The [guarded] tag will go away to indicate this. When they leave towns, the tag will be restored and all previous guarding will resume.
* It will no longer be possible to guard items in containers.
* You will not be able to guard living things other than players and other pets.
* Getting or using a guarded item will now flag you criminal. (This includes using doors, for those who wish to guard their houses with pets/hirelings).

# Pets will no longer be able to fetch things that weigh too much for them.
That is the implimentation of the Guard command. Oddly enough this is the reason that OSI removed doors from dungeons, people were having rats (or whatever) guard the door to flag unsuspecting travelers as criminals. I think it would be reasonable to disallow doors from the guard command to preserve the look and feel or classic uo.

Additionally, miners used this trick to protect their ore while strip mining (that is, dragging the ore-pile and taking a step), which is indicated in this essay written on stratics some time ago...

http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/miner.shtml
Since most ore thieves are blue, I normally summon a creature (fifth level magic) and have it guard my ore and follow me. If someone touches the ore, they will be flagged criminal. I will then find them and flip 3-4 greater explosion potions in their direction.
ENVIRONMENT DETAILS:
N/A

STEPS TO RECREATE:
Set an item on the ground, have your pet guard it. Have another innocent party attempt to take the item.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
Guard command working properly on items.

DATE REPORTED:
14 June 2009

Accepted

DATE STATUS CHANGED:
6/14/2009
Last edited by MatronDeWinter on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchaicSubrosa

Re: Moving guarded items flags the "guarder" criminal/murderer

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

This would be totally awesome in guarding keeps/homesteads...Every castle should have a dragon :D . I believe a stealing skill check should be in order to avoid this though that can be used by even those players not in the theives Guild as long as the object guarded was not on a blue player.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

the patch should be that you can only guard locked down containers...like locked down but unsecured pouches/bags

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

ArchaicSubrosa wrote:the patch should be that you can only guard locked down containers...like locked down but unsecured pouches/bags
It's a bug report, not a suggestion for better home security :lol:

Derrick

Re: Fixing: Moving guarded items flags the "guarder" criminal

Post by Derrick »

There are some other known issues with the way the guard commands works on mobiles as well. Will fix. Thanks.