Era accuracy... and then what?

Topics related to Second Age
Sandro

Re: Era accuracy... and then what?

Post by Sandro »

overpowered / original poster, iirc
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Populus wrote:We wouldn't want it any other way.
So you believe that every single change OSI made after November 1999 was horrible and ruined the game? There are plenty of minor things that I'm sure everyone can admit were positive changes and barely have any impact on game balance.

Cutting bandages as a stack
Land surveying tool
House decorating kit (I admit it, I am incompetent at placing furnishings the right direction!)
Bank checks
Tinkering with colored ingots actually making colored items
Animal Lore's ability to see creature stats
Passive skill gains (meditation, animal lore, anatomy, eval int) -- we already have it easy with sanctioned unattended macroing

I mentioned in IRC a while back that I missed the dex changes for bandaging, and even Derrick admitted it was a great change, but outside of our era.
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I certainly agree there were some good changes in early 2000 and UO:R, but it's the specific goal of this server to meet consistency in mechanics as they were in OSI, as rules changed the game changed, and taking only what mechanics we like from a later time period is game design not emulation. It's also likely to lead to great dissatisfaction by one group or another which what's chosen. There were equally good aspects of early and Pre-T2A which we have had to eliminate for the cause of mechanical consistency to the era.

For the record, there's still plenty to do.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Technically we already have a "pick and choose" ruleset. The nov 23 patch is part accepted and part rejected, leaving the server emulating a ruleset that never existed. There's really no difference between rejecting the in-era secure/lockdown increase and accepting the out of era "cut bandages all at once" change.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Everyone knows what you don't like about UOSA. Is there anything you do like? The only "investment" you've made is time, and if that investment is not giving you a return, why continue making it?

With that said, most reasonable players understand that UOSA adheres to an ideological goal. One which, in my opinion, the staff adheres to extremely well.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

I didn't say anything about disliking anything. You may wish to read the posts you reply to rather than simply assuming they contain content that offends you. Like I said, out of era changes don't necessarily harm the "ideological goal", only the mechanical goal. And since the mechanical goal is not a 100% strict rule to start with, things like bandage cutting that don't harm the ideology of the shard shouldn't be automatically dismissed with an "era inaccurate".

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

You seem to think there's a consensus on the bandage cutting issue. There is not. I like bandages just the way they are because cut bandages sell well on vendors.

I suggest trying to find enjoyment with the tools given to you, rather than demanding more tools.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Again, I would recommend reading the posts you reply to rather than invent things to tell me to stfu about. I am not demanding anything, bandages were simply an example of one issue that gets dismissed with a flood of "era inaccurate" replies instead of a discussion.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Generic Player wrote:Again, I would recommend reading the posts you reply to rather than invent things to tell me to stfu about. I am not demanding anything, bandages were simply an example of one issue that gets dismissed with a flood of "era inaccurate" replies instead of a discussion.
Your tone is awful and you get the types of replies you ask for by using it.
UOSA Last.fm group!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

BobDobbs wrote:Your tone is awful and you get the types of replies you ask for by using it.
I rarely pile on, but i feel I need to agree with this publicly. Paying some homage to work of the many other players who have helped shaped this shard over the years in research, testing, and feedback is very overdue. We appreciate everyones help and research, but a relentlessly negative and agressive attitude easily overshadows any good that is done.

This shard is a collaboration of players and staff, and the speed of progress often varies. Complaining about the speed in which things get done, or polices and decisions that have been beaten to death over the years, is not going to speed up the process. Many of the issues that have been raised in these threads have been raised in others before, yet the theme of "read my posts" doesn't seem to go both ways.

Most issues are open for discussion; but a positive outcome usually require some tact.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mys
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mys »

Bandage market is gone if you made them cut as a stack. Guess you didn't think of that?

Now before you go suggesting all these "little" changes think of all the other things you didn't think of.
| || ||| BRINGING THE YOU BACK TO THE OH ||| || |

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Bob&Derrick: I have no negative tone or attitude, I am simply participating in the discussion like everyone else. Being upset about what I said in another thread doesn't mean everything I post is a cut+paste from that thread. I haven't complained about anything in this thread, or said anything negative about anyone or anything. Specifically for Derrick, if you would like me to leave please just say so, I don't mind and it would be preferable to having you "pile on" to knee-jerk "stop being negative" responses when I am not being negative, accusing, confrontational or anything else,

Mys: I'm not saying "put in the bandage change" I don't really care about bandages at all, I just used it as an example of one of the things that gets more of a "not era accurate end of discussion" response than a discussion about the pros/cons. I'm not pushing for any particular change, just pointing out that the situation is already more complex than a simple cut off date where things are either in or out.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Even if my statement about your tone relied on the locked thread, which it does not, your posts in this one do not exist in a vacuum.

If you really can't see the problem with your tone then I can't help you, and neither can anyone else.

You just kind of come across as a jerk with a real entitlement problem. Sorry, man. But that's the image you portray here.
UOSA Last.fm group!

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Mys wrote:Bandage market is gone if you made them cut as a stack. Guess you didn't think of that?

Now before you go suggesting all these "little" changes think of all the other things you didn't think of.
Seriously? You are worried about the bandage market drying up? NPCs sell regs at reasonable prices, yet reg vendors still exist. Cutting bandages one at a time was stupid then and it is stupid now. The only valid excuse anyone ever managed to come up with for keeping it the way it was up until they finally changed it was that bandages weigh more than cloth does.

I'm not saying "change this" or "don't change that", I'm just saying there are plenty of "quality of life" changes that could be made that still fit into the spirit of the era and do absolutely nothing to change the balance of the game.
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Reena Dae wrote:I'm not saying "change this" or "don't change that", I'm just saying there are plenty of "quality of life" changes that could be made that still fit into the spirit of the era and do absolutely nothing to change the balance of the game.
Problem being, where do you stop? Bank checks don't fit my idea of the spirit of T2A, yet you specifically mention them. Cutting stacked bandies may be a boon to you, but it will greatly affect the balance of the game for the guy who happens to be in the business of selling them. This could go on and on -- every item you could mention, has an equally valid refutal.

We all end up taking a bullet in one way or other eventually, but with a set date, its one we should know is coming. Its not based on someones personal perceptions of what the "spirit of t2a" is, what does/doesn't break "game balance", or what the hell a "quality of life" change is.