Guide: Murder System and Stat Loss

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Derrick

Guide: Murder System and Stat Loss

Post by Derrick »

Our murder system is based on the stat loss system that was active at the release of UO:T2A and is summed by the following except from the OSI T2A playguide.

"Murders who are killed automatically lose up to 20% of all stats and skills (the exact effect depends on how often and how recently they've killed, and the penalty cannot reduce them below starting levels), as a cosmic "payback" for their evil deeds."

From http://web.archive.org/web/199910230229 ... murder.htm :
Stratics wrote: Guide to understanding the new Murder System

The biggest change is that there is two separate murder counters kept on each character now: A short term and a long term counter.

The short term count works exactly like everyone is used to. They decay at one per eight hours, and if you have over 5 of them, you are red and you will have stat loss if you res. This short term murder count works exactly the same way the murder counts always have, and does not even effect the long term murder count.
The long term murder count accumulates exactly the same way as the short term one (if you get reported for murder the counter goes up one). These counts decay at one per 40 hours instead of one per 8 hours. Once you have 5 long term counts, your character will be red, but this counter has nothing to do with stat loss. It only makes your character red.
With both of those counters defined, I want to show an example how someone that murders frequently will really wind up being red very very long, even though he can res without stat loss. Lets look at an example of a murderer that kills 5 people in a row, then attempts to just sit out 8 hours to get rid of one short term kill before he kills again.

A Murderer Scenario:

Note I am using exact hours to make this scenario simple, things in game can effect the actual hours to make the murder count decay a little faster or slower than 8 hours and 40 hours, but not by too much. You might want to use 10 hours instead of 8 per short term murder count to be on the safe side.

Player murders 5 people in a row and player is red (ressing will cause stat loss).
· Short term counter is 5 (40 hours to get to 0 count, 8 hours to be safe to res)
· Long term counter is 5 (200 hours to get to 0 count, 40 hours to be blue)

Player waits 8 hours to get rid of a short term murder, player is still red. Even though the short term counter is below 5, the long term counter is still 5 and keeps him red.
· Short term counter is 4 (32 hours to get to 0 count, is safe to res)
· Long term counter is 5 (192 hours to get to 0 count, 32 hours to be blue)

Player murders a player. Player is still red (ressing causes stat loss again)
· Short term counter is 5 (40 hours to get to 0 count, 8 hours to be safe to res)
· Long term counter is 6 (232 hours to get to 0 count, 72 hour to be blue)

Player waits 8 hours to get rid of a short term murder again so he can res. You can see that even though the short term counter fell back to 4, the long term count is really racking up the hours, just one kill has made a major difference in the long term count compared to scenario 2 above.
· Short term counter is 4 (32 hours to get to 0 count, is safe to res)
· Long term counter is 6 (224 hours to get to 0 count, 64 hours to be blue)

Lets run the scenario one more time to watch the long term counter. Player kills someone again (ressing causes stat loss again)
· Short term counter 5 (40 hours to get to 0 count, 8 hours to be safe to res)
· Long term counter 7 (264 hours to get to 0 count, 104 hours to be blue)
As can be seen, compare scenario 5 above with scenario 1. In both instances, the player is a murderer and has only 5 short term murder counts that only need 8 hours to be safe to res. But because this person has continued to kill and add more 40 hour long term murder counts to the long term counter, this person is going to be red for a long time. Instead of waiting 40 hours to become blue, he would now have to wait 104 hours because of his accumulation.

If you page a Counselor to ask him how many hours you have to wait until you are blue, we will have absolutely no clue in the world (as you can see from the above example the long term counter can get very high and we have no idea what your murdering activities have been). GMs cannot give you your different murder count levels either.

If you plan to be red, be very sure of your murder counts.
Perma red system is in effect as of Feb 2011. By going from 'blue' to 'red' 5 times will cause a player to permanently become red to other players. Once you have passed this, there is no way to become blue again.

"I must consider my sins" message:
  • If you are permanently red:
    • "Thou art known throughout the lands as a murderous brigand!"
    If you have more than 5 short terms:
    • "If thou should return to the land of the living, the innocent shall wreak havoc upon thy soul."
    If you have more than zero short terms:
    • Although thou hast slain the innocent, thy deeds shall not bring retribution upon thy return to the living.
    If you have zero short terms, but more than zero long terms:
    • Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent in some time...
    No long or Short term counts:
    • Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent.

Faust

Re: Guide: Murder System and Stat Loss

Post by Faust »

I am assuming perma red wasn't added to the latest patch implementing long term counts since it isn't mentioned here? I haven't seen any info about it yet, so I am a bit curious if it exists. It possibly also would be good to clarify it in this post here too.

Also, are the words red when you will take statloss and blue when you won't when saying "i must consider my sins"?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

No, there is no ping-pong perma red
The font color is the default color.

Edit: There is a perma-red system
Last edited by Derrick on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: perma red

Faust

Post by Faust »

Ok, I thought maybe that fix that said Fixes to "i must consider my sins" message in today's patch was for the red and blue text based on the patch in '99 that added that and the perma red message. I've been meaning to ask about perma red for awhile but kept forgetting.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:Ok, I thought maybe that fix that said Fixes to "i must consider my sins" message in today's patch was for the red and blue text based on the patch in '99 that added that and the perma red message. I've been meaning to ask about perma red for awhile but kept forgetting.
Ahh no, It was giving messages that didn't make any sence when you had zero kills

Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

How much stats do you lose in the case that your short term count is over 5?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It varies from 9% to 20% depending on your counts.

XaN

Post by XaN »

its been a while...

If you just wait out the counts as a ghost, your stats go back to normal...

If you res and ur stats go down ??%.. will they come back after you've spent the required time logged in?
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

You don't take the loss until you res, so if you wait until you're under 5 short term counts as a ghost, you can res with no stat loss.

No, lost stats/skills don't come back if they are assessed, you would need to regain them

mynameis

Post by mynameis »

Derrick, ive been waiting a week to get my LT counts from 4 to 3, i have performed criminal actions but not pked during the week, is that reseting my counter?
I read your statement very clearly, but I just wasn't sure.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Criminal actions will not reset your counter, the 40 hours is in-game logged-in time and only decays on server reset. The short term counter decays normally.

Axel231

Post by Axel231 »

im not quite sure on this but..

say im red and a blue attacks me and i kill them they cant flag me for a murder can they?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

No if they initiate the attack they can't count you. Much like if you attack a skeleton and then run to town, the guards won't help you.

Kafka118

Post by Kafka118 »

Evening :)

Any chance of implimenting the system which displayed how many short term, long term and murders counts you have ? I seem to remember it being around at some point after T2A.

I realise it is't true to the T2A era but it's additional information which does't affect gameplay other than informing the player.

- Kafka

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Kafka118 wrote:Evening :)

Any chance of implimenting the system which displayed how many short term, long term and murders counts you have ? I seem to remember it being around at some point after T2A.

I realise it is't true to the T2A era but it's additional information which does't affect gameplay other than informing the player.

- Kafka
I believe this was changed just prior to your arrival to the server I'm afraid. Check these patch notes.
Derrick wrote:
  • Correction to the "I must consider my sins" message:
    • If you have more than 5 short terms:
      • "If thou should return to the land of the living, the innocent shall wreak havoc upon thy soul."
      If you have more than zero short terms:
      • Although thou hast slain the innocent, thy deeds shall not bring retribution upon thy return to the living.
      If you have zero short terms, but more than zero long terms:
      • Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent in some time...
      No long or Short term counts:
      • Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent.
This was a later correction to the message after it had been fixed. The original patch note can be found here.
Derrick wrote:
  • I must consider my sins will no longer reveal your short and long term counts.