Animals returning to their spawn

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
marvin

Animals returning to their spawn

Post by marvin »

When you tame an animal and release it somewhere else on this shard it currently "teleports" (not the spell) back to its spawn location after a certain amount of time. Even if the spawn is physically inaccessible the animal will magically reappear there.

This is something which was added on OSI after UO:R when they improved monster/animal pathfinding and made them always return to their spawn.

It's pretty annoying and hopefully it will be fixed.

Tamed animals should wander around whever they were released forever until they are killed or tamed and moved again.

Derrick

Re: Animals returning to their spawn

Post by Derrick »

I agree. This is unintentional behavior on UOSA and related to a specific spawn system which is misconfigured.

Thanks.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Derrick wrote:I agree. This is unintentional behavior on UOSA and related to a specific spawn system which is misconfigured.

Thanks.
Does this mean I can permanently stash horses and other wildlife in my house until someone kills it or moves it?

Downs

Post by Downs »

they have to be targeted every 24 hrs
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I don't recall animals/NPCs in general attempting to return to their spawn point.

On UOSA if you don't give a mount a command, and are eventually killed, the mount will suddenly get super excited that it is free and try it's best to run toward it's original spawn point (no matter how far you are from that point). Also, if you lead spawn away from it's spawn point, then run away from it, it will go back to it's original spawn point. It can be annoying when doing T-Hunts.

If this behaviour really existed in era, then it doesn't explain "wandering shopkeepers", which would sometimes wander miles from their original spawn points.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

nightshark wrote:I don't recall animals/NPCs in general attempting to return to their spawn point.
I think they tried to return only if they were within a certain (screen or two) distance, and much, much less aggressively than they do here (those horses can sure bolt!).

I'm not sure how they handled respawning regular mobs that were lured far from their spawn point though. NPC vendors would just magically (*poof*) respawn on occasion (which you could obviously force by trying to buy/sell).

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rammar wrote:I think they tried to return only if they were within a certain (screen or two) distance, and much, much less aggressively than they do here (those horses can sure bolt!).
They definitely wouldn't try to return if they left their subserver, there are other mannerisms involving sub-servers that are difficult to properly replicate :/
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."