Released Animals and tinkered traps

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
valheru

Released Animals and tinkered traps

Post by valheru »

Aggressive animals/monsters which are tamed then released are supposed to be aggressive and attack other players. Currently, they are passive. If you release a dragon/hell hound, they do not attack anyone.

I believe that you are supposed to be able to trap spawned/static chests; you are not allowed to do so here. I used to go to ratman valley and trap the spawning chests then hide beside them until i was covered in the blood of some noob adventurer :).

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Released Animals and tinkered traps

Post by MatronDeWinter »

valheru wrote:Aggressive animals/monsters which are tamed then released are supposed to be aggressive and attack other players. Currently, they are passive. If you release a dragon/hell hound, they do not attack anyone.

I believe that you are supposed to be able to trap spawned/static chests; you are not allowed to do so here. I used to go to ratman valley and trap the spawning chests then hide beside them until i was covered in the blood of some noob adventurer :).
Your right about the trapping of spawned chests. Stealth-tinkerer was a popular template when i played during T2A. Im not sure about the animal thing, I brought it up once but someone said it was accurate. No idea. I remember them attacking though.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

The animal thing has been mentioned in the past and I believe it's on the to do list

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'll look into this. I'm pretty sure it's accurate for animals to remain aggressive to monsters, but this may be incorrect for aggressive animals such as drakes, dragons, etc.

Thanks.

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

ahhh.. stealth tinkers.

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

umm released animals are aggressive to monsters here.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

valheru wrote:I believe that you are supposed to be able to trap spawned/static chests; you are not allowed to do so here.
I wish I could see some more info on this. It makes sence to me on the face that you would me able to do this, however I used to contantly look in chests around town and in dungeons, and never recall one blowing up in my face. It seems like if this was true every box in the city of Britain would be trapped.

However, If it can be shown to be accurate we'll correct this.

Currently containers must me both locakable and movable to to trappable.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Here's something about changes to the abilty to trap mobs:

Source: http://www.uoherald.com/news/archives.php?offset=77
Item ‘Smashing’ and Monster Movement
UO Team
27 Nov 2000 00:00:00 EST
Monsters may no longer be ‘trapped’ by barricading them behind various objects in the game world. They will now attempt to maneuver around the objects and in some cases may smash the objects barring their movement.

Items that are locked down, secure, or strongboxes may not be smashed. Containers, if smashed, will spill their contents onto the ground.

valheru

Post by valheru »

I am 100% positive that you can trap spawning chests, I used to trap the ones in rat valley all the time.

It will probably be very hard if not impossible to find notes on this, for it never changed and therefore would not be mentioned in patch notes.

You would not find chests in town trapped, because since the trap is being placed out of your house, you take a murder count. It's too hard/risky to sneak a red tinkerer into a guard zone :)

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Kraarug wrote:Here's something about changes to the abilty to trap mobs:

UO Team
Monsters may no longer be ‘trapped’ by barricading them behind various objects in the game world. They will now attempt to maneuver around the objects and in some cases may smash the objects barring their movement.

Items that are locked down, secure, or strongboxes may not be smashed. Containers, if smashed, will spill their contents onto the ground.

Note the date of the patch where they moved around or broke things. This was UOR not T2A.

We use to trap ballys in Hyloth with crates all the time.

valheru

Post by valheru »

Kraarug wrote:
Kraarug wrote:Here's something about changes to the abilty to trap mobs:

UO Team

Note the date of the patch where they moved around or broke things. This was UOR not T2A.

We use to trap ballys in Hyloth with crates all the time.
Kraug, I think you are misunderstanding my original post.

When i say trap spawned chests, I mean that a tinkerer will place an exploding trap on a spawned chest and wait for someone to open it. This issue has nothing to do with trapping monsters behind boxes.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A few pieces of information:

December 21, 1998 patch notes
  • Monsters will pick up and destroy items that block them as follows:
  • The item must be moveable.
  • The creature cannot be a pet.
  • The item cannot be locked down.
  • The item must be impassable.
  • Monsters can destroy an item anytime.
  • Human NPCs must be attacking someone to destroy an item.
  • Animals must be attacking someone to destroy an item.
  • The creatures will destroy stacked items one at a time.
December 8, 1998 patch notes
  • Traps and the magic lock spell can no longer be placed on locked down containers. You can still place them on containers before they are locked down, however. This was done to prevent people from trapping containers to ambush the container's owners.
For the second patch note, given the way that locked down containers would work (simply disallowing movement), it is distinctly possible that other chests outside of houses would operate in the same manner.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

I know that tamed creatures will destroy a stack of items like it was a single item.

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

Regarding trapped chests

Posted March, 1999
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... bb737c765a

Kevin M <kev...@flash.net> wrote:
Q: Can camp-spawned chests be trapped by players?

>Q: Can camp-spawned chests be trapped by players?

Yes.
To reiterate, you are supposed to be able to trap spawned chests, but you cannot currently do so on UOSA.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kefka wrote:To reiterate, you are supposed to be able to trap spawned chests, but you cannot currently do so on UOSA.
This will be in the next patch.