Player stuck menu. Whats the reasoning behind it?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Player stuck menu. Whats the reasoning behind it?

Post by son »

I realize when players get stuck, there simply are not enough GMs to handle it. We know its not era accurate, but we know it wont go away.

Well whenever I used it, I used Cove because it was a small town with a healer and bank. Cove now has no bank, all the others send you to randomized locations in town, but the towns are quite big. For example the Vesper one sometimes puts you in the fakin docks, and the healer is super far away. Why is this?

Why does it not just send you to the bank?

Just wondering.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Re: Player stuck menu. Whats the reasoning behind it?

Post by Braden »

It probably does not put people at the bank to discourage them from using the Help > Stuck option as a personal teleport service.

Note: We have been cracking down on abuses of the Help > Stuck option lately. If you are legitimately stuck and you page, we will probably tell you to wait until the Help > Stuck option works. It is unwise to use this in lieu of recall scross, etc.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Logging out in a Friends house behind his Security is a good reason to use this ... since you can no longer remove yourself

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

As is logging in while on a boat and the boat was moving which sends you to a random piece of land. I've logged in more than once after getting a connection cut on a random island. :P

While I do think some people abuse it, and I am just as guilty of having used it a few times myself, I think that it would be far better put to use if it was limited like it is on production shards. You can use it once a day to get to a town. If you need to use it twice, instead of a menu, it pops up with a request that goes to the GMs so they can move you manually if you are truly stuck.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Here are some previous discussion regarding the "Stuck Menu":
Subject: Help Stuck - era accurate?
Subject: Instant House - Help Stuck
Subject: Help I'm Stuck - Era accuracy and Not correct
Subject: Motivations behind some for 'era accuracy'

I believe the locations that you are dumped to with the stuck menu are based on the OSI locations.

It currently works twice in a 24 hour period. Yes, people really do get stuck in the map, especially on a 6.x client.

I think it's necessary to have some way for people to get their characters unstuck when there are no staff available; however I don't like the menu either. Suggestions are welcome as always.

I'm thinking of randomizing the town in the next patch. Stuck Menu->Stuck Option
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

could warp people2-3 tiles in a random direction. shoudl unstick them from a hole.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Pro

Post by Pro »

that warp thing is pretty open to abuse though, getting into houses n wot not

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, finding a way to move them to be unstuck without opening up possible exploits would be chalenging I think.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

I think randomizing the town is a great idea and would eliminate some of the abuse. What about lowering it to once per 24 hours?
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

applejack wrote:I think randomizing the town is a great idea and would eliminate some of the abuse. What about lowering it to once per 24 hours?
Both of these are probably good suggestions.

Bear in mind though, the more you restrict this, the more people are simply going to use alternate characters to gate in/out of places. I don't have a huge problem with either of these practices - the help-stuck or the gating - but some people do.

Forgetting about the client differences, too, it's still quite easy to get stuck in certain places. When I was new to this shard, I teleported to a spot outside Delucia amongst some trees, a set of tiles you couldn't just walk into, figuring this would keep me safe from the bulls I was attacking to draw to me and attempt to tame. The guy who started this topic, actually, killed me. At the time, this was my first character on this shard, so I literally had nothing I could do but wait for someone to find me, resurrect me and give me teleport reagents. I could have been there a week before someone stopped to do this.

I also killed a guy who teleported behind some rocks in Shame to work his archery AFK, shooting Earth Elementals. He, too, had no way out besides GM intervention, Help --> Stuck, or a good samaritan happening upon him.

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

If you guys change this to make it "random" make sure that a) reds only go to bucs den & b) blues do NOT go to bucs den. If I teleported on my fisherman and ended up going to bucs & getting killed I would be friggen pissed off.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

applejack wrote:I think randomizing the town is a great idea and would eliminate some of the abuse. What about lowering it to once per 24 hours?
or twice per 36 hours maybe? I'd like to find a way to fix this that still allows people who are legitimately stuck to be freed. The problem is we can't really tell sever side that they are stuck. usually the server says they are fine to move, it's the client that prevents them from moving, because their client thinks there's a rock there, or a hole due to a different client version map.

There were a lot of changes made in the 6.x client.
5.0.8.3 client
5.0.8.3 client
DespiseIsland[1].jpg (125.08 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
6.x client, second bridge.
6.x client, second bridge.
secondbridge2oz1[1].jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Hythloth lvl 1, 5.0.8.3
Hythloth lvl 1, 5.0.8.3
Hythloth lvl 1, 6.0.1.10
Hythloth lvl 1, 6.0.1.10
Tera Keep 5.0.8.3
Tera Keep 5.0.8.3
Tera Keep 6.0.1.10
Tera Keep 6.0.1.10

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

BlackFoot wrote:could warp people2-3 tiles in a random direction. shoudl unstick them from a hole.
That wouldn't help these people
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Hicha wrote:
BlackFoot wrote:could warp people2-3 tiles in a random direction. shoudl unstick them from a hole.
That wouldn't help these people
Love this Tactic .. nice way to relieve the boredom at sea

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Hicha wrote:That wouldn't help these people
All that needs to be done here is log out and log in to be transported to shore. With a saved password this can be done fast enough that you'd probably survive. Same for being stuck in other players houses.