petition to change house transfers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Omnicron

petition to change house transfers

Post by Omnicron »

Today i was scamed out of my tower by someone named throw me a rope of UOH. He worked with someone else who was posing as a broker named Wise of $$$. Not sure if it was the real Wise but it does not matter. The reason why I'm posting here is because it seems like alot of people get scamed out of their hard earned gold and there is hope to change the way housing transactions are. The following is a copy of the conversation I had with gm Braden. There is a simple solution to housing scams. I know the shard wants to be as era accurate as possable but there are certain things that are better if its not. So vote.

[Edited by Braden]

Donk

Re: petition to change house transfers

Post by Donk »

This should not be changed for the same reason there should not be a Trammel to avoid PKing or item insurance to avoid looting. People play here for the playstyle that T2A mechanics bring, and part of that playstyle is a more "social" style of trading, with greater emphasis on trusting people.
<Zedd[afk> if theres ever a uosa convention and you pked me once ur getting ran over with a truck

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

If anyone could post methods that also prevent house trade scams, I would appreciate it. All players might be made aware of these methods and tactics to prevent them from losing the hard work that they have put into developing their characters in-game.

The mechanics do make it tougher, but it is not impossible to do. If you contact a few trusted players, they can recommend a few brokers whom might be able to assist you (should you decide to go that route).

If you conduct a trade via IRC, always conduct the trade in the main or trade channel. If you do it via private message then you do so at your own risk. If you do trade via the channel and are still scammed, we can take limited action on the matter.

As always, don't rely on others to ensure that you don't get scammed. Make sure that you take every necessary precaution. Know who you are trading with.

Hope this helps!
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I like how Braden automatically accused matron of this in the PM.

Why edit out the irc chat? Whats to hide?
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Nah.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

A few tips I can recommend:

For larger sales, always use the main chat in IRC or the open forum (not pm). This way there is a visible log of the trade taking place. People are much less likely to scam you if it's done like this because they end up banned from the chat and the forum if they do.

Second, as a merchant and broker myself, I always like to cover my ass. All it takes is one person to cry foul to ruin your name. Razor has a great feature on it called RPV which is under the Video Capture tab. What this does is create a packet video that records everything that happens on your screen in UO while allowing you to mouse over objects and people on the screen. So if you do a trade and it goes sour, you can see who the people are and how the scam was done and have some proof as to what went down. I use this feature on every big trade I do simply as protection for myself and my name. What is really nice about these is that they are very small in size and you can upload them to www.uomovies.com to share with people. So it's a very useful tool in cases like this if even to simply inform people of being scammed and who is scamming you.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

just use blackfoot for brokering. hes the most reliable broker on UOSA and in the 2 years i have played here, i have never seen him scam anyone. hes brokered trades worth over 500k for me personally, and iv heared he has even brokered keeps, and trades involving multiple castle deeds with out ever being shady.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Its not gonna happen because of above stated rules.

Post all major trades on the forum. Even if it is just "So and so is selling this to me for X" And have the other party involved confirm before trading.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

ANYONE in uoh scamming gets teh boot

should be a trustworthy tag
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

BlackFoot wrote:ANYONE in uoh scamming gets teh boot

should be a trustworthy tag
I trust people in UoH. Not so much UOH
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/382

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

yea UOH was our guard stone, didnt really take off :P rias is me and other guy doesnt play anymore :<
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

Just an update. The tower that was stolen has been moved two squares. the sign says to contact Matron de Winter if you want to buy it so im guessing it was that person after all. Also throw me a rope is no longer in UoH so she either resigned or got removed from the stone.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I placed that tower this morning. Lucky for me, on my morning sheep-permit-patrol I stumbled onto this empty spot.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Matron, my records show that you do not have a permit to be out permit patrolling. I suggest you call my office to get one before you are heavily fined.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC