Nightmare Taming

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
sirrayiv

Nightmare Taming

Post by sirrayiv »

When Taming Nightmares back in the day, an animal tamer would NEVER get the message, "You seem to anger the beast".

This was added much later, and should be removed!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Nightmare Taming

Post by Kaivan »

This message is used and is apparent in the demo which is pre-T2A. There are also several guides that discuss the fact that angering the beast was part of the taming process during the era. Thus, the functionality is accurate to the era.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

valheru

Post by valheru »

Simple "fix"

Razor macro

IF HP < 75
Cast Gheal
Target Self
ELSE
use skill Animal Taming
Last Target
END IF

That's not the exact macro, but I'm sure you get the idea. Create the macro, then start it, it'll spam taming on the animal and you'll get an attempt within 1-6 seconds.

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

Thanks for the macro sample, but I don't need help setting up macros.... I had an animal tamer back on Napa Valley in 1999, and I know for a fact that I never got that message on Nightmares.

I would also like to point out that the nightmare spawns on this server are not accurate to the original.....not sure if this is on purpose or by design.

If the purpose of this server is to be as close to the original as possible, then this needs to be changed in my opinion....although, I do realize that its not really a big deal...the more things that are accurate, the better the experience for old-school players such as myself.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I think the discrepancy with Nightmares, and angering them may have been a misread of the following page:
http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/anim.htm

The Drake and Dragon are *'d indicating they anger on taming. The Nightmare is ***'d with a different footnote.

I have no recollection on this behavior myself. I went with the RunUO default, and no one else has ever mentioned it.

I'm certainly leaning towards us being wrong on this, but further discussion, even is brief discussion is warranted.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

I appreciate your honesty about this topic. I have actively been playing a tamer for years and years...I know for a fact that I am right on this one. I used to go down into Terethan Basement, and run as far south as I could. There was a nightmare that would spawn all the way down there in the far southern corner, and I would teleport behind a rock down there, and then try to tame it. One of the things that I clearly remember is that how much easier Nightmares were to tame than dragons, because I didn't have to put up with that annoying message, "You seem to anger the beast" while trying to tame the mare.

I know this may be another one of those minor, insignificant things, but it would be era accurate if it were corrected.

Bong Hit

Post by Bong Hit »

I cannot comment on when you got the message..... Cant really remember it didnt affect me much my taming was to low to tame em. I can comment on this though the nightmares did infact spawn in the basement of the keep. I do remember helping keep my freind healed while he tamed them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Everything that we have found has indicated that no Nightmares spawned indoors prior to UO:R
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Derrick is right. Mares didn't spawn in Covetous OR in the Keep until UOR.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Nightmares spawned in the keep during UO:R and beyond; not in T2A.

Stratics put detailed spawn locations in their individual hunters guide pages; Faust linked to them a few days ago. That seems to be our best resource for spawn info.