magic bone armor

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sandro

magic bone armor

Post by Sandro »

Did magical bone armor not drop during Era?

I have no idea but I found it odd that it dropped as non-enchanted loot but I have not once seen a magical piece. This stuff was pretty useful with invulnerability properties..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Faust

Re: magic bone armor

Post by Faust »

It did actually drop, but very rarely.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Faust wrote:It did actually drop, but very rarely.
So that means this will be fixed then?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

I think it stopped dropping pretty early, and and that most of the pieces that were kicking around were old.

I remember my brother and I had Bone Gloves of Hardening and thought it was really rare. He also joked that he wanted to make a Bone Thug-N-Harmony cover group that did UO parodies, and call it Bone Gloves-of-Hardening.

It was funnier at the time.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Fwerp wrote:I think it stopped dropping pretty early, and and that most of the pieces that were kicking around were old.

I remember my brother and I had Bone Gloves of Hardening and thought it was really rare. He also joked that he wanted to make a Bone Thug-N-Harmony cover group that did UO parodies, and call it Bone Gloves-of-Hardening.

It was funnier at the time.
pretty funny

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

According to this link magic bone armour was decreasing in rarity following the advent of MIBS and the treasure hunter.

http://web.archive.org/web/200008181205 ... ant4.shtml
For the first time I've included magic bone armour in the pricing guide. Although it's still rare, treasure hunters and fisherfolk are reporting increased discoveries of these pieces of enchanted skeletons.
Its relative rarity increases its value significantly. Even though more magic bone has appeared in the wrecks of ships and in treasure chests, lessening the rarity bonus, it can still command fairly high prices from collectors.
This was apparently updated 03/07/99.

I fondly remember wearing one of my 2 invul bone suits to server wars on atlantic. I certaintly don't remember it being worth near the prices in that link though, and while invul was rare, guarding and such was fairly common and pretty much trash.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

If that guide is accurate and falls within our time-line..
Strength, cunning, agility, bless, protection - while these items used to be almost worthless, recent changes have rendered them quite valuable (especially to players who enjoy "server about to go down" wars, where the server doesn't save so you can use the same items over and over). The two changes of note are the increase in duration of these items and the cumulative effect of multiple items (i.e.: a player wearing a helmet of strength and a body sash of strength gets the bonuses for BOTH of the items). Add the following to the base price of the charged item:

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I don't think it's possible to get your STR above 120, no matter how many you wear.

Other things gleaned from this piece (which seems to be written by a VERY knowledgeable player, actually):
The only magic shields that sell with any consistency are metal kite shields (the checkerboard kite shields, not the teardrop ones)
I've always been under the impression that there were no such thing as magic heaters back in the day.
Spell Reflect - although spell reflect charges drain very quickly (while you have an item equipped, it will lose a charge every 5-15 seconds, regardless of whether or not you get hit with a spell), these items can make the difference in PvP. I've thoroughly tested them (usually in server down time fights) and my fencer can wade through 5 mages without harm (to me, anyway - it's always amusing to see the following sequence of spells: explosion, paralyze, e-bolt, great heal, great heal) while wearing my mighty sash of spell reflect (82 charges).
I was definitely surprised here that MR items "cast" the MR spell on you. I thought they'd reflect spells only when worn. Also, 82 charges?!?!
it's a little known fact that you can use a teleport ring even if it's not equipped - just double click it in your pack
The halberd and the bardiche are still two of the most popular weapons in the game. Finding the magic variety of the pole arm is relatively rare
This implies to me that you would find non-magic halberds out there. Which implies that you'd find non-magic everything else too. I was definitely surprised here by the fact that every weapon drop on monsters is magic (except for some item-drops from orcs and such, which appear to drop a random item, not necessarily a weapon). But, maybe people in 1999/2000 were just killing many, many more orcs than they were daemons.

Of course, caveat being this was last edited during UOR.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

If it is indeed accurate then you we're able to stack any stat modifier jewelry and get a ridiculous amount of buffs.

That's how the glacial staff was used during UO:R, stacking cunning items until 200 intelligence, "Des Corp Del" (50% of mana = damage) = 100 damage after weaken + explosion pot. This was the easiest way to kill high-end runic factioners in large groups.

:D

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

This link (01/01/2000) suggests the only magic shields were buckler, wooden, and both types of kite (see the table "Base AR for Shields"). I too don't remember ever seeing a magic heater and always using magic metal kites.

http://web.archive.org/web/200001291154 ... yessay.htm
Too many useless shields! Remove magic wooden shields and/or bucklers and make magic Heaters.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Heres an earlier copy of that merchant essay (dated 2000/01/17):

http://web.archive.org/web/200001271659 ... chant4.htm

the only difference in the quotes the lack of mentioning fishing/mibs. It also mentions that:
Only recently "de-nerfed", the magic mace market maintains a morose mean mark-up (say that 10 times fast). However, I see bright things ahead for these weapons, especially the newly discovered quarter staff, which is extremely fast and saps stamina faster than you can say "pass the total refreshment potions, please".
which implies it was written (or last updated) after the mace stam-loss patch (02/02/1999).

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Mikel123 wrote:Spell Reflect - although spell reflect charges drain very quickly (while you have an item equipped, it will lose a charge every 5-15 seconds, regardless of whether or not you get hit with a spell), these items can make the difference in PvP. I've thoroughly tested them (usually in server down time fights) and my fencer can wade through 5 mages without harm (to me, anyway - it's always amusing to see the following sequence of spells: explosion, paralyze, e-bolt, great heal, great heal) while wearing my mighty sash of spell reflect (82 charges).[/quote]

I was definitely surprised here that MR items "cast" the MR spell on you. I thought they'd reflect spells only when worn. Also, 82 charges?!?!
i had brought this up a while ago when talking about charged items, i clearly remember there being some items that had HUGE amounts of charges. when i was looking around an older site (was one of the T-Hunter sites) it was basically a bunch of players saying what they looted from level 1-4 chests, and some people had 100+ charges of reflect on ARMOR. i dont remember how to get to the website again, was part of that google past search feature i dont believe exsits anymore.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

I brought the charged properties on armor issue up with derrick recently and he said it should drop on armor but he would check to see why it isn't.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

ohh nice. maybe he will look at the amount of charges also. although i do have some items with 70 protection, and str/cunning/agility, i dont understand why its not on the reflect items. i cant for the life of me find the uohc logs about this stuff tho.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I am currently in the process of doing a major overhaul to the magic clothing and jewelry. This will include making it possible for these enchantments to appear on other wearable items as well, and will fix the bugginess of the charge consumption., and peculiarities of the protection effect. We should also be fixing nightsight so that it only expires each UO morning.

This has been a complete rewrite, a huge project, and it may be another week or so before it's ready, and before much else gets done.

There is a lot of background research on going to determine if enchantment stat effects stacked in era. It's been pretty conclusively shown that they did stack in UO:R; however there are also some indications that there were some changes coded to these effects in UO:R that produced this ability.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."