Academy HW: "No Hocus Pocus" (Due: 12/27 @ 11:59pm EST)

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.
Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Academy HW: "No Hocus Pocus" (Due: 12/27 @ 11:59pm EST)

Post by Daolin »

"No Hocus Pocus" - A lesson in the History of Magic
HW Due Date: Sunday, December 27th @ 11:59pm EST

Objective: Students will understand the role of wizards in history and research a particular famous witch or wizard.

"Hocus pocus": Magically speaking, the words mean absolutely nothing. Very often entertainers will use "mysterious" sounding phrases to imitate the incantations of true wizards. There will be no "hocos pocus" in the academy.

Wizards: Most students understand as witches or wizards, that they have the ability and knowledge to manipulate the environment around them in ways many commoners would consider unnatural. What most students do not know is the role of wizards in Britannia's earliest history.

Each city usually had a couple wizards or witches that had a special talent in casting spells, breaking spells, curing illness, or telling fortunes, etc... Thus, they were called "wise-men" or "wise-women". These names evolved to become "wizard" and "witch". These early wizards and witches were feared and well respected. At the same time, there were many who would try to imitate their magic to their own profit. These individuals brought persecution and all sorts of rumors about all wizards and witches alike.

By Lord British's kindness, the academy was allowed to be formed in order to distinguish and develop the talent in the magic community. However, he felt it was too great a power to be held under one roof. Lord British thereby declared that Moonglow and Magincia would share the academy evenly and naturally keep the other in check.

Assignment (2 points)

Part 1: Choose a witch or wizard you would like to research:
  • An excellent wikipedia article on famous magic users here.
  • You may also use any resources of your own.
  • NOTE: Each submission must be unique. Wizards and witches will be accepted on a first come basis. My suggestion is to reply with the person you will use, then edit the post later when you have time.

Part 2: Answer the following questions about your wizard or witch:
  • What book, story, or myth are they from?
  • Was he or she typically good or evil?
  • What qualities do you like the most about him or her?
  • Was there a particular spell, ability, or item they were famous for?

Extra Credit! (1 point)
** Include a picture of the witch or wizard you have chosen.

Extra Credit! (1 point)
** Choose a wizard or witch that shares your character number.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Results: Magincia Wins!

Magincia: 26
  • Caswallon - 4
  • emac - 4
  • chainsoar - 3
  • Maahes - 3
  • calista - 4
  • Luca - 4
  • Glarus1 - 4
Moonglow: 16
  • Drazaos - 4
  • Blackfoot - 4
  • Coloram - 4
  • Zanobi - 4
Last edited by Daolin on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

moondoggie

Re: Academy HW: "No Hocus Pocus" (Due: 12/27 @ 11:59pm EST)

Post by moondoggie »

placeholder - Telchines (might change if i find something cooler)

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Merlin
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I missed the whole extra credit thing about numbers. Can I change mine to Gandalf?
Last edited by Pristiq on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Zhu Chao. 8+8+3+3+8+1+6 = 37 = (10) 1+0 = 1
Zhu Chao.jpg
Zhu Chao.jpg (122.55 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Book - Waylander 2: In the realm of the wolf by David Gemmell.

Good vs Evil - Evil. Attempting to attain ultimate power by sacrificing three Kings to a demon lord, tries to achieve goal by any means necessary, murder, deception, dark magic, subversion, deceit, it's all fair game.

Qualities - Low down, sly, dirty, narcissistic, win at all costs bad, bad man. Likes to summon demon lord to sacrifice people he has used to help him attain goals. All round nice guy.

Ability - Subversion & deception. Has a kings son, an emperor and a demon lord all doing he's bidding via lies, deceit and psychology.
?

Drazaos

Post by Drazaos »

Drazaos=4+9+1+8+1+6+1=30=3+0=3
Kulgan=2+3+3+7+1+5=21=2+1=3
A picture of Kulgan and a picture of the novel he first appears in, within the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist:
Kulgan was a notoriously good character throughout his role in the Riftwar Saga. Some of the qualities I liked the most about Kulgan would include his independence, as most scholarly wise-men are, at least slightly, hermetic yet having good interpersonal influence on others. In addition to what I like about this character, Kulgan plays a key role in the story in how he teaches the main character to use magic; subtle. Some particular items that were of importance to Kulgan can be illustrated within a quote from the character himself, "my pipe and pouch are two items always kept upon my person at all times. I can withstand the loss of my other goods-though the loss of my two books troubles me deeply-but to endure any circumstance without the comfort of my pipe is unthinkable" (p.221).

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Doc Strange atomic number 8 :D

He first appeared in Strange Tales a comic series with 'Silver Age of Comics' and owned by Marvel comics now.

Hes a good guy who usually spends his time tackling larger projects such as saving the Earth.

Hess a master magician and was the holder of the title of "Sorcerer Supreme" for many years. Which makes me think hes only in the 90s magery but I mean thats still pretty good for the 1960's. Prolly gmed by now.

I like this guy mostly due to how suave he is with the ladies. He also rocks a pretty sweet cape.

Hes pretty good at summoning deamons and such (prolly uses scrolls), energy projection teleportation telepathy astral projection are few other tricks. He can also cast magic reflect on the entire planet.

<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Coloram
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Coloram »

Amergin Glúingel - a powerful druid from Irish mythology.

Character number = 5
Coloram = 5

For 150 years the Tuatha Dé Danann ruled Ireland. In 1897BC the Milesians set forth to invade Ireland and defeat the the Tuatha Dé Danann. After landing, Amergin led the Milesians around Ireland, acting as a guide and sage.

Amergin would be viewed as a good druid, acting as a peacemaker to settle disputes.

I like the fact that he didn't use magic unless he had to, and would rather settle disputes peacfully.

When the Milesians met the leader of the Tuatha Dé Danann, both sides agreed that Amergin would take the role of an impartial judge for the battle, setting the rules of engagement. The Milesians agreed to sail a short distance from the island and, when the signal was given, they would attempt to land. However the druids of the Tuatha Dé Danann created a magical storm which prevented the Milesians from landing. Amergin sang a spell which called upon the spirit of the land to part the storm and allowed the ship to land.

Several major battles ensued but the Melesians eventually won and Amergin agreed to name the island after the the three queens of the Tuatha Dé Danann. One of these, Eire, is still in use today as the irish name for Ireland.
Amergin.jpg
Amergin.jpg (9.66 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
Aldarian - DG

Glarus1

Post by Glarus1 »

Saruman

Glarus = 6
Saruman = 6

Lord of the Rings

Saruman sought the power of the rings for himself and created an orc army to compete with Sauron. His greatest asset and only admirable quality was the power of his voice, but nothing could help him in his evil quest and not only was his army defeated, but he was ultimately killed by his own man-servant after failing to conquer a hobbit town :)
Attachments
SarumanbyHowe.jpg
SarumanbyHowe.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Last edited by Glarus1 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

Some very cool submissions so far. I've learned about quite a few new wizards already

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

One more night on this! Remember, you don't have to do the extra credit. If it is stopping you from completing, then skip it for the normal credit.

emac
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by emac »

BABA YAGA
2 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 7 + 1 + 7 + 1 = 22
2 + 2 = 4

EMAC
5 + 4 + 1 + 3 = 13
3 + 1 = 4
babayaga.jpg
babayaga.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
Baba Yaga is a witch-like character in Slavic folklore. She flies around on a giant broomstick, kidnaps (and presumably eats) small children, and lives in a hut which stands on chicken legs.

Since she flies around and eats children, I'm going to say she's evil.

I don't like any of her qualities, she sounds like an evil old hag.

She is most famous for her hut on chicken legs.
Last edited by emac on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcon

Post by alcon »

HARRY POTTER... I WILL SUBMIT LATER TODAY... JUST CALLING DIBS

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Dr. Hicks

John Hicks - 1+6+8+5+8+9+3+2+1 = 43 4+3 = 7

Hicks is the Head of the Department of Post-Mortem Communications at Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork. Not, it must be stressed, a necromancer - gods, no! He merely communicates with those who have recently passed onto the great majority. Nothing untoward about that. No. The fading letters on the door - "N...E...C....M"? Mere coincidence.

(From Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, no picture available, sadly)
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Zane

Post by Zane »

Morgon
4+6+9+7+6+5=37 3+7=10 1+0=1

Zane
8+1+5+5=19 1+9=10 1+0=0

Morgon The Riddle-Master of Hed

A king of farmers, surrounded by evil as he discovers his magical nature (the ability to solve riddles containing knowledge lost when wizards of the past had left the world).

[EDIT: This is the basic info, and not much else fits the questions to be answered. If I need more info, let me know.]