Crash before i even get to login screen.

MrLittle

Crash before i even get to login screen.

Post by MrLittle »

I am trying to be a new player here but to no avail :(

I start Razor and everything is as it should be....almost!

I am having a problem getting the login window to come up. It goes fine until I hit the Okay button. the screen goes all grey then...

"Ultima Online Client has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It doesnt say much more than that.

I am fully installed, and patched too. running the .net framework required(1.1).
server and port are correct

only difference I am seeing is in the Data directory. Which I cant find a file that says " program files\Ultima Online\UOsecondage\... and then stuff i cant read do to it being a screenshot"

I have set it to the Ultima Online folder and also tried using the auto detect, neither worked. Both still led to it attempting to bring up the log in screen but only getting a grey screen and a crash note

Please help. I had been playing UO since it started and stopped at the introduction of trammel :( I have never felt the same with other MMORPGS, UO is the love of my life and would love to get back into it!

Derrick

Re: Crash before i even get to login screen.

Post by Derrick »

MrLittle wrote:I am trying to be a new player here but to no avail :(

I start Razor and everything is as it should be....almost!

I am having a problem getting the login window to come up. It goes fine until I hit the Okay button. the screen goes all grey then...

"Ultima Online Client has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It doesnt say much more than that.

I am fully installed, and patched too. running the .net framework required(1.1).
server and port are correct

only difference I am seeing is in the Data directory. Which I cant find a file that says " program files\Ultima Online\UOsecondage\... and then stuff i cant read do to it being a screenshot"

I have set it to the Ultima Online folder and also tried using the auto detect, neither worked. Both still led to it attempting to bring up the log in screen but only getting a grey screen and a crash note

Please help. I had been playing UO since it started and stopped at the introduction of trammel :( I have never felt the same with other MMORPGS, UO is the love of my life and would love to get back into it!
I'm guessing that the client patch didn't install properly. Try taking the Patch.to.5.0.8.3.exe file and copying it to your installed game folder (C:\Program Files\Ultima Online) and running it from there.

Is this a 64bit operating system? If so you may have trouble if the game installed to C:\Program Files\Ultima Online, try installing to C:\Ultima Online

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RawToxic »

I use windows XP pro 64bit and just downloaded and installed the 'suggested' client because my mage with 100 magery cannot figure out how to teleport onto the top of the Britain Bank. I've tried everything... Someone told me the client I had installed may be the issue. I've tried the suggested client and still no luck.

Maybe I'm just retarded....

To install the 5.0.8.3 patch on a 64bit windows system, I did have to execute the patch file from within my UO installation directory. (copy patch to uo directory and launch) I let UO install to the regular program files directory. Not the Program Files(x86) one. I also had to not switch tasks while the patch was executing or it would die.

Stoopid 64bit o/s.. I still conquered in the end though. :)
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen

Seven Elements - GM Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Mage, Musician, Tailor, Tinker
Fletch - GM Bowyer, Miner
Samuel Vane - GM Fisherman
Arsenic Annie - GM Poisoner
Grimm McCutty - PVP Hybrid

MrLittle

Post by MrLittle »

OK im going to try this as im on a x64 :P i hope this works cause its the only thing i havent tried yet

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RawToxic »

Also, right click the patch file, go into properties and activate compatibility mode for windows 95 or 98... I don't remember which.

Seven Elements - GM Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Mage, Musician, Tailor, Tinker

MrLittle

Post by MrLittle »

ok that didnt work but i didnt do the compatability thing, its saying that is all intalled already. do i need to uninstall and reinstall uo then patch with the compatability thing?

MrLittle

Post by MrLittle »

OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGG YOU ARE AWESOME!!! ITS WORKING!

ALL HAIL RAWTOXIC! CHAMPION OF MY TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES!!! lollololol

Thank You VERY much!
-MrLittle

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RawToxic »

That's awesome! Did you have to reinstall and run the patch in compatability mode? I believe that's what finally got me working. I can even use the UO Demo.. That's how I got my 7 yr old used to playing the game before setting him up on his old 1.0 athlon machine. :)

Although, I believe I had to launch the demo install manually from the exe file and activate compatability mode again.

Rogers

Post by Rogers »

Ok, I am have the exact same problem that MrLittle had. I have windows vista basic, not 64bit. When I was installing I got an error installing skilname.deu or whatever, I dont think that is the problem tho.

I dled everything ran everything as admin, and just uninstalled everything and am going to try and reinstall. My biggest problem is I don't get an error message, I let it sit on the grey screen for 5 mins and no error. It just sat there and I have to turn the comp off which is not good for it. So I am only willing to try this a few more times. I am going to move the patch folder to my UO Directory when I am done, I cut and pasted it and it wouldnt let me open it, but I will try copying.

HELP!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rogers

Post by Rogers »

Derrick wrote:Hope this helps:
http://www.uosecondage.com/misc/skills.zip
Thanks, but I just re-downloaded the game and that solved the skill problem. I am still getting a black screen when I click ok on Razor. I let it sit there for about 10 mins and it then goes to a grey screen which is the UO screen cause I can hear the music and see the little metal glove cursor, but that is it. Only once did an error come up and it said something about a page file I think...

Thanks for the help so far, I dont plan on giving up.

Edit:

I copied and pasted the patch file and put it in the UO Directory also and patched...still stuck

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It's trying to go into full screen, but it's not making it.

Try hitting <ALT><ENTER> and <ALT><TAB> a few times

Sorry for the delayed responces.

For faster help, join our IRC channel, info on main web site, right column. There's a IRC java applet available.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Having this same problem from my work computer. May be a sign not to play at work :) The problem just started today though, it's been working fine here, did something change overnight? I'm not sure where to find the "Patch.to.5.0.8.3.exe" file to try to fix it. Wth.

Edit - I should add that the client itself works, I can log in without razor.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

An interesting note on crashes that may help.
Running older clients within the 5.0.8.3 install folder can cause a corruption of the chardata.mul file which can cause your client to crash. Do test this, rename your chardata.mul files to chardata.mul.bak

This file is only a configuration file, it will be created if it doesn't exist.
You will find a copy of this file in the root UO folder, and also in your character folder in Ultima Online\desktop\...
(... is account/shard/character)
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work :( It still crashed right away.