mac uo users

Dignan

mac uo users

Post by Dignan »

Wine (Installing Wine on Mac OS X) and Parallels (Run Windows on Mac and Mac Virtualization — Parallels Desktop for Mac) or even VMWare (VMware Fusion: Run Windows on Mac, for Mac Desktop Virtualization) are virtual machines you can install on a Mac. Virtual machines allow you to install another OS inside the Mac OS. In the case of Wine, the other OS is already decided to be Windows. For Parallels and VMWare, you can install any OS you want, but in this case, you want to install Windows, so that you can install UO and Razor.

I myself go the route of Parallels -> Windows XP.

Good luck!

Bikeyourride

Re: mac uo users

Post by Bikeyourride »

If I can't figure my way using Crossover Games, this will be my second option.

purplehazze

Post by purplehazze »

i would use the integrated feature in mac os x called boot camp. this will allow you to install windows xp or vista and give you the option to boot into windows during a restart. this will increase your performance more so than trying to run an os emulation inside another os.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I heard Mac OS X is just a linux wannabe. Is this true?
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

Pristiq wrote:I heard Mac OS X is just a linux wannabe. Is this true?

yes lol...

The proprietary version of Linux they are using has some good and bad things..

I view PCs as being like clay, something you can mold and do what you want with it, including screwing it up easily.

Mac Linux is more of a fibreglass, you couldn't crash it if you wanted to, but at the same time you are severely limited on what all you can do extra on it without some serious mods.

kazana

Post by kazana »

orionsune wrote:

yes lol...

I view PCs as being like clay, something you can mold and do what you want with it, including screwing it up easily.

Mac Linux is more of a fibreglass, you couldn't crash it if you wanted to, but at the same time you are severely limited on what all you can do extra on it without some serious mods.
That is, from my pov the nice thing about OSX. It offers quite some flexibility for those knowing how (and dare) to configure/make/install, while the non-nerdy users get an easy interface (well, as soon as you get used to it coming from windows) to work with.

I have used Linux (Suse, Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu) on various machines, as well as DOS (5.11+) and Windows (95+) in the past, but so far I do enjoy OSX most. I only switched to Mac about half a year ago, so it may still be honeymoon fever, though.

I personally run Razor + UOSA via wine and winebottler. Apart from a few hick-ups in getting dotnet20 installed, it works fine. I just miss the counters in the window title bar. Would be awesome if I could get those displayed somehow.

StoDy

Post by StoDy »

Hey there,

I am keen to give Second Age a go but only have an Intel based mac running OSX.

I followed the instructions on this site:

http://www.uogamers.com/forum/general-d ... ost2020751

Well here is how I did it:

1.Download Winebottler from WineBottler - Run Windows Programs directly on OS X

2.Drag the apps into your app folder (Wine.app + WineBottler.app)

3.Launch Wine.app,click on the Wine icon in the top bar and go to File Manager from the drop down list. A folder will be created in your user directory (~/) called Wine Files.

4. Drag your UO setup, Razor setup files and anything else you will need into the Drive_C folder within the Wine Files folder that was created in your user directory.

5. Click on the wine icon again on your top bar and goto "Winetricks"

6. check the box "dotnet20" in the list then click Apply.

7. Finish the installation by clicking next just like in a normal windows install.

8. Go back to "Winetricks"

9 check the box "fontfix" in the list then click Apply.

10. Finish the installation by clicking next just like in a normal windows install.

11. Go back to file manager in the drop down menu from the wine icon in the top bar; Using the file manager look for your UO/ razor setup files (they should be in C:/) and double click to install them like you would in a windows environment. Everything should install and run smoothly.

But when I try to load razor the UO screen just freezes with that annoying grey hue.

Has anyone else had the same problems? Are there any other ways to do it? I tried using Cross Over but couldn't get Razor to work with it?

Help would be great!

Thanks in advanced!

kazana

Post by kazana »

StoDy, did the installation process work fine for both Razor and UO client? (If not, you should see which packages are missing)
And have you set the checkboxes at razor startup as described (uncheck encryption iirc)?

Do you have any error logs?

Alternatively, you may want to try and install 'allfonts' in winetricks. Some people apparently have problems with missing fonts.

syphus

Post by syphus »

Luckily I came across this thread.... I too have tried everything to get UO working on OSX 10.5 (not snow leopard) - and nothing works. I get the same problem:

razor launches client.exe and its a gray hue and it freezes (music plays flawlessly though), then it crashes. Razor also is not fitted to its window and is not resizable.

CrossOver for OSX does not work either - same exact problem...

Anyone ever manage to fix this?

I've come across many screenshots of other uses running it smoothly on their mac, but no definitive method to do seems to have been posted anywhere on the net.

And yes, I've installed core fonts, fontfix, .net 2.0, direct3d, and everything else possible.

no dice :(

UPDATE 2/24/2010:

I get UO to run in CrossOver Games on my mac, but razor wont install because it needs the .NET framework, and i can't finish the .net install without crashing..

Anyone tangle with that at all?

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

I have seen a few people claim they got it working flawlessly. I have no idea how, and I don't own a mac (want one) so I have not tried myself. Just that it must be possible. I found info about it on google while searching for other uo related info on running in linux. Maybe google "uo linux" instead.

Manowar

Post by Manowar »

syphus wrote:Luckily I came across this thread.... I too have tried everything to get UO working on OSX 10.5 (not snow leopard) - and nothing works. I get the same problem:

razor launches client.exe and its a gray hue and it freezes (music plays flawlessly though), then it crashes. Razor also is not fitted to its window and is not resizable.

CrossOver for OSX does not work either - same exact problem...

Anyone ever manage to fix this?

I've come across many screenshots of other uses running it smoothly on their mac, but no definitive method to do seems to have been posted anywhere on the net.

And yes, I've installed core fonts, fontfix, .net 2.0, direct3d, and everything else possible.

no dice :(

UPDATE 2/24/2010:

I get UO to run in CrossOver Games on my mac, but razor wont install because it needs the .NET framework, and i can't finish the .net install without crashing..

Anyone tangle with that at all?
I had the exact same issue as you with OS X 10.5. Even though it didn't really make sense to me, the only missing element was not upgrading to snow leopard. So I upgraded and it worked beautifully, immediately. It's only $30 and has other benefits aside from UO.

G'luck
Rendar wrote: Live by the sword, die by the hidden archer turret.
chumbucket and Associates [cA]

[lml] EPIC Heavy Metal Bards [lml]

esteban

Post by esteban »

orionsune wrote:

yes lol...

Mac OS X is not a "propriety version of Linux".
It uses the Darwin kernel, and has a predominantly FreeBSD-based userland.
I do admit that there are some GNU utilities, but it is definitely not Linux.

OS X is a certified UNIX with a optionally bundled X server, which can run concurrently with their own display server.

coreball

Post by coreball »

I've ran UO with Crossover, however, I was unable to figure out a work around to get .net to install... so no Razor.

I have an XP partition with Bootcamp. It works great, but it would be nice to not have to restart every time I want to play UO.

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

esteban wrote:
orionsune wrote:

yes lol...

Mac OS X is not a "propriety version of Linux".
It uses the Darwin kernel, and has a predominantly FreeBSD-based userland.
I do admit that there are some GNU utilities, but it is definitely not Linux.

OS X is a certified UNIX with a optionally bundled X server, which can run concurrently with their own display server.
My mistake, BSD is Unix. It's just that they support so many Linux apps, both commercial and open-source, I assumed it was Linux. I've never really used FreeBSD.

The term proprietary software is often used to mean computer software which is neither free nor open source Terminology for forms of software licensing is not fully standardized and can be controversial. A literal meaning of "proprietary" in relation to software is that it has a copyright owner who can exercise control over what users can do with the software, in contrast to public domain. This term can be used loosely, but I believe Mac has has visited the patent and copyright offices.

It’s not the hardware itself that’s proprietary, nor is it necessarily the software itself. It’s Apple’s choice to restrict the types of machines that its operating system can run on. Although it has been proven that Mac OS X can indeed run on non-Apple hardware, with some modification.

The only thing on Mac OS not proprietary is Darwin, since it is open source, and also why we are able to install it on your typical windows box since hobbyist can modify it to their whim. MacOS will run moderately to extremely slow running on your windows box.

Here you can find more information about the modified copies of Mac OS that run on your typical windows Intel compatible hardware.
http://www.osx86project.org/

No matter how you slice, dice and rationalize it, if you asked Apple's legal department, they will say "proprietary". Let's face it, MacOS is just as proprietary as Windows.

Sources:
http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/ma ... ctive.html
http://www.getgnulinux.org/linux/linux_faq/
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/mac-osx-mi ... alfeatures
http://www.ogasawalrus.com/blog/node/217
http://www.technightowl.com/2008/05/the ... ecade-ago/