Deadly Poison

Topics related to Second Age
Faust

Re: Deadly Poison

Post by Faust »

Oh, I had no idea that was directed towards you...

Did you happen to notice your name was residing in my sentence or something?

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

<3

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:
hiicha wrote:Curing has been argued and debated, plenty of information regarding how easy it was to cure DP, so people need to just let that die.
I reluctantly agree. GC cured 100%, a casted cure by gm mage cured 100%.

Its the interruption from the poison damage that I've zeroed in on.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I definitely remember watching mages try to cure another person that was DPed and it took multiple tries.

I'd be lying if I said they were GM mages, I have/had no idea what their magery was at.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

poogoblin wrote:I definitely remember watching mages try to cure another person that was DPed and it took multiple tries.

I'd be lying if I said they were GM mages, I have/had no idea what their magery was at.
Aye, this is the case for some of the stratics essays too. The most cited one says almost gm Mage (how close almost is, he does not say). It does make a difference, not to mention that failures tend to come in groups.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Derrick, does the OSI code use a minimum damage for Deadly Poison? I don't see how there can be so many references to having a minimum damage it if it wasn't.

Also, all these new topics about interruption; do poison ticks not interrupt 100%? I've yet to test this portion of DP (or notice it much the less) but am considering it when I get home.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

poogoblin wrote:I definitely remember watching mages try to cure another person that was DPed and it took multiple tries.

In T2A GM magery wasn't a dime a dozen and, like you, I have similar memories.

I've researched and research this topic though, fought with Faust, and proposed several ideas about how Poison may have worked.

In that research I haven't been able to find anything that supported my believe execept for the poisoning essay and the statement about "near GM" failing multiple times. Simply put, I just wasn't able to make a case that the cure spell was as the essay and what I seem to remember.

The case that the cure spell worked more like the demo is much stronger and, because I believe in this vetting system we have here, I will support that argument until there is more proof going in another direction. (So... Find more proof please!!).

Until then, I've had to look at what has been the prevailing agruments focusing on how Deadly Poison was considered still deadly and believe the key is damage values, the removal of stamina for DP victims, the frequency of damage, and how interruption is calculated from poison damage.

With what has been uncovered by myself and many others, I believe that Derrick now has an accurate damage and frequency of damage system.

I believe that Derrick has tweaked the stamina removal for DP but I havne't been able to test it yet.

So, the last thing is to have the damage value used for the interruption calculation to be the pre-halved damage.

You see, in 1997 OSI halved all damage realized by players in an effort to prolong combat.
OSI Patch note from 12.09.97 wrote:All damage has been mathematically halved to slow down combat across the board. This takes place after damage absorption by armor.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 12/09/1997

This math was applied right before the damage was applied to a given target.

This is evidenced by the combat forumla which clearly shows that all factors and modifiers are applied to base damage and then divided by half.

Attack Sequence
1) Determine Speed of Attack.
2) Determine % Chance to Hit.
3) Randomly determine base damage, within weapon's damage range.
4a) Determine Tactics Modifier to Damage Dealt to base damage.
4b) Add STR Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
4c) Add Anatomy Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
5) Double all Spell-damage against non-players.
6) Check for magical defenses. (Reactive Armor, for example).
7) Modify for Chance to Block an Attack with / Damage Absorbed by Shield. (Ignore if Defender is not wearing a shield).
8) Determine Hit Location
9) Modify for Damage Absorbed by Armor
10) Halve all remaining damage.
11) Apply final damage.
It's step 10 of 11.

http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/combat.html

It would stand to reason that interruption uses pre-halved damage. This has been adjusted for melee damage here but not yet for Poison. I think that will change.

Let's give this a shot and see if it feels closer to what we use to see.

Faust

Post by Faust »

hiicha wrote:Derrick, does the OSI code use a minimum damage for Deadly Poison? I don't see how there can be so many references to having a minimum damage it if it wasn't.

Also, all these new topics about interruption; do poison ticks not interrupt 100%? I've yet to test this portion of DP (or notice it much the less) but am considering it when I get home.
I have answered this in the past already...
http://update.uo.com/design_159.html wrote: Poisoning
All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
Also, nothing is a guarenteed interruption... The spell interruption formula is scaled on a case by case comparison based on the caster's magery skill, spell circle being casted, and the amount of damage the caster takes. There is the possibility that a value for a hundred percent interruption takes place but this clearly depends on the case at hand.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

hiicha wrote:Derrick, does the OSI code use a minimum damage for Deadly Poison? I don't see how there can be so many references to having a minimum damage it if it wasn't.
There is a minimum value of 1 set for all poison for the 2.2000 version of the poison damage essay. This essay first appear in December 1999 so the work would have been late era and in the time period we are looking to replicate.

(Derrick, can we get a copy of that posted in the guide section for people to see?)

The next version, a month or two later, we are able to pull up from the way back machine is the UO:R version which has a higher minimum damage. I believe it was 6 or 7 hps for DP.

I can't speak to the OSI code. Derrick, Batlin, Kav, or Faust would have a better idea.
hiicha wrote:Also, all these new topics about interruption; do poison ticks not interrupt 100%? I've yet to test this portion of DP (or notice it much the less) but am considering it when I get home.
I remember, playing as a mage, that I had to time my casts to avoid the ticks because of interrupt.

I first suspected that maybe it worked like the interruption of healing when struck with damage but more than likely interruption works with a general formula.

The question is, what damage value is used to calculate interruption and, if you see the case above that many have also arrived at, I think you'll see interruption much more frequent and troublesome for a poisoned spell caster.

With this modification, using pre-halved damage, poison will not only be a hit point factor but will need to be addressed in order to prevent unwanted spell casting interruptions.

Add that to the reduction of stamina and we may have a deadly poison once again.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Faust wrote:I have answered this in the past already...
http://update.uo.com/design_159.html wrote: Poisoning
All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
I've seen this patch note, but it doesn't exactly explain what the minimum damage is. Several essays show an actual value for minimum damage, the same essays which "reflect current damage values," yet we still have Deadly Poison doing damage ticks of 1 hp.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

If the target has 8 or less hit points then you are right, there will be ticks of 1 hp for DP but no lower.

It's basically 13% of remaining hitpoints per evaluation cycle. It's when the remaining hitpoints are evaluated that makes the difference in terms of damage. Right now, I believe it's every 2 ticks.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Though I have no proof but my memory...

It seemed like the spell interruption, at least for poison, increased the lower the victims HPs dropped. DP chance of increasing with victim 75% or higher HP seemed around 80%. As their HP drained they SEEMED to fizzle more and more. It could also have been because the player began acting like an idiot so close to death.

I'm just guessing it is not purely damage based due to the fact DP would take less HPs the lower the victims health got, and if anything interruptions inceased if not staying the same.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The UOR poisoning essays list the "new" minimum values as mentioned in the patch...

There was always a minimum of 1 damage prior to this patch. Before the UOR era deadly or lethal could be recaculated at a VERY low value when the person has really low HP. This ended when the minimum value was fixed in that patch note...

PS
Spell interruption formula is based on the caster's magery skill, spell circle being casted, and damage taken. There is absolutely nothing else that effects this formula in any shape or form besides these three values when struck while casting a spell.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kraarug wrote:If the target has 8 or less hit points then you are right, there will be ticks of 1 hp for DP but no lower.

It's basically 13% of remaining hitpoints per evaluation cycle. It's when the remaining hitpoints are evaluated that makes the difference in terms of damage. Right now, I believe it's every 2 ticks.
Not every 3 ticks, but 33% chance of recalc on each tick. So there's a decent chance that it won't recalc at all.

I am very much in agreement that the damage being passed into the interupt formula is half of what it should be.

We will try to fix this soon.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

I started another thread about spell interruption here.

Please discuss anything related to it there.